[Writer 7.3.1.3]How to display table cell value inside paragragh

I have a document where certain amounts are listed within the preceding paragraphs. Those amounts are then collected into a table that totals them up (using additions and subtractions) and places that total within a cell. I wish to now have that total display in a following paragraph after the table wherein the paragraph states the amount and what to do with it. Is this possible?

Specifically I want the amount shown in the table to be displayed, not to have the amount recalculated using a formula in the paragraph. This is due to the fact that some amounts in the table are not explicitly written in the preceding paragraphs, but are instead implied in those paragraphs and the actual amount only shows in the table. So I must use what is in the table to display in the paragraph.

You do that with cross-references.

• First step: create reference to total

1. Select the total amount in your table. Take care that the selection covers all digits of the result (in fact, the whole formula).
    2. Insert>Cross-reference
    3. Type Set Reference and give it Name: total (or any other you like)
    4. OK
  • Second step: use this reference

1. Where you want to display the total, Insert>Cross-reference
    2. Type Insert Reference and select “total” from the list
    3. Insert reference to Reference to get contents of the reference (not its page or chapter number)
    4. OK

Works like a dream. Thank you! I’ll note to those who might read this, make sure to unlock the table’s cell first, then set the reference. Afterwards, the cell can be locked again. Also also, Tools>Update>Update all so the numbers stay current after any changes.