Writer business cards

Hello,

I have a business card, front and back, that I am trying to layout. I have been trying like the dickens to rotate some paragraphs, the only way I could find to do that was within a text block area. Then I have three such areas anchored to the template card.

In and of itself, that copies from my draft layout document into the actual business cart sync template fine, at first. But the synchronize DOES NOT (repeat) DOES NOT synchronize. Apparently does not know how to detect text blocks synchronized to the template object?

Is it a bug in the current version I have installed, perhaps? Has it been addressed in more current versions perhaps? Currently on 7.0.1.2, and yes, I know that is ‘behind’, FWIW. But I wonder if the sync issue has or can be corrected, otherwise.

Best and thank you…

Michael

When you speak of “synchronisation”, do you mean you use the Mail Merge feature to insert data from an external source into your business card? Or do you mean trying to align front and back side of card?

Is this an issue with getting the information where you it is to be located?
Remember that Text Boxes are “drawing objects” alien to text flow logic; consequently no field can be inserted inside.

Is it an issue an the general document layout where you can’t “align” correctly the front and pack pages?

Is it an issue with the printing device where a “correct” document is offset durint the printing process?

And as usual, OS name and save format? Eventually, attach a sample file.

No, I am not talking about any back end data sources. Literally we are talking about this button:

Which takes the template card and copies it across the range of nine other card areas.

Not sure how my source docs got broken or corrupted, but it was easy enough to start afresh. Key being to just copy the contents of the card area, not the card area object itself, if that makes any sense.

Just couple of tidbits, I was also finding it interesting, if half expected, the vertical and horizontal alignments are pretty close, but best to envision some margin around the edges of, say, a table, in order for the cards to be properly centered.

Short of a professionally printed use case, that seems to work pretty decently I have found.

So, you have a solution or workaround? Problem solved, at least temporarily?

I think so, yes, or it was easy enough just to spec out a new document with working sync and start afresh, copy in my content tables.
Still bit of a mystery whether text boxes anchored accordingly would possibly work. I may run that thought experiment and see if it works or not.

IMHO, I don’t think you’re facing “text boxes” but rather text frames.

I’m not sure what you mean; there’s no opinion. The fact is, I tried, Insert > Text Box, and anchored to the card content area. Which I could copy into the template document. But I copied the actual card object, which apparently broke some things.

But regardless… I have an adequate at least interim solution that seems to work pretty decently in centered or margined tables in the content area.

Then, definitely you have Text Boxes. Avoid using such drawing objects because they don’t integrate well with text flow operations. In particular, they can’t contain fields which are needed for Mail Merge (used with Labels). It you only want fixed fancy text, this is all right.

“Apparently”. Thanks for clarifying. Although still, we’re not talking about labels, and there is no mail merge. These are business cards. But good to know.

I think you were on the right track with text boxes but you didn’t anchor them in the correct area. They need to be anchored in the part shown for synchronisation.
I don’t think text in frames can be rotated, but styles for a business card of only a few words confers no real advantage.
BusinessCardSynchroniseArea

You could instead use a single table cell and apply the suitable vertical orientation to the text within the cell. Table properties > Text Flow > Text orientation > Vertical (top to bottom)

This sample has both
BusinessCardsWithVerticalText.odt (36.3 KB)

Wow nice super interesting examples. Thanks for the pro tips.