Writer Formatting Problems (properly format fractions)

I created a document and placed a table within it. The table compares gauge thickness to inch fractions and decimal fractions.

I cannot get it to stop changing my text.

I would attach the table, but there is no way shown here.
Sample Table Formatting Problem.odt (9.7 KB)

You can upload the entire file as an attachment. Click the pencil below your post to edit it, click the 7th icon from the left at the top (hover your mouse over them to view their purposes), then select your document. If necessary, first anonymize the content. Please don’t post it in a comment or answer, that will only make the whole thread longer and harder to read.

And also, try to more specific than “Writer Formatting Problems”. It doesn’t describe anything and is not likely to catch the attention of knowledgeable people.

Thank you. I totally missed that. I was looking elsewhere.

Please feel free to make a suggestion.

Tell us what you want. I’m clueless.

You have the end column formatted as Fraction
FormatAsFraction

Select the end column and click Table > Number Format, under Category select Number, Under Format select -1234.57, increase the decimal places to 4 which I think is fairly standard and OK out. Cheers, Al

Thank you. My method seemed pretty standard over the last 30 years, and that was to select the whole table and then set the format to text. Therefore, all should be entered as typed and it was not set as fraction. However, it did not take on the whole table, which makes it confusing. I did not have that problem in Calc, so creating the table there and then pasting it into the document worked fairly well so far.

Now the next thing is to get it to properly format fractions. I believe the problem to be with the font choice.

How do you want to format fractions? Some fonts offer nut fractions as an alternative, e.g. Linux Libertine G
You need to Modify your style, click on the Font tab, click the Features button, and tick the box Nut fractions.
Otherwise, you could use Math to insert a formula

Having tried it out, Nut fractions are not a good choice.
Best option is to create a formula in Math. Click Insert > Object > Formula, type 1 over 16, then click back on the page to close out of Math

BTW I get 16 gauge as 0.052 inch for wire gauge but there are very many old gauge sizes.

Thank you so much. Good insight. I had never heard of nut fractions. I am still unclear on the relationships between those and slash and stacked fractions. I was never taught these in school. You learn something new every day.

So I tried as you suggested with the math formula and got the right format, but inside a little box.

We’re getting closer!

And you’re correct; the decimal equivalents are all over the place. Who can you trust.

The box is the OLE container. You can adjust the Spacing and the Padding in Writer if you select the box then in the Sidebar, select the Styles icon. Right-click on Formula and select Modify; Spacing is in Wrap tab, Padding in the Borders tab
Apparently, to calculate the diameter of wire gauge sizes in inches, use the following formula in Calc, where A1 contains the wire gauge number =0.005*92^((36-A1)/39), multiply by 25.4 to get mm if you are having a mm column

Thanks much Good Buddy. I appreciate your insight. It helps to know what we can do to get by.

(I just wish Corel would release WordPerfect for Linux. I sure miss that intuitive program.)