Writer freezes and I'm loosing the work

Hello,

I’ve been using Libre Office 6.4.7.2 for a few months now on a Linux Mint installation. Since last night, after 20 minutes of working, it freezes and it stays that way. When I stop the process and start again, the modifications I made are lost. It’s the third time in a row, after a restart. I’m reluctant to start all over again and loose the work. Do you have any suggestions of how to fix this?

Version: 6.4.7.2
Build ID: 1:6.4.7-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;

Can this help for file recovery:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Videos/Preventing_data_disaster#LibreOffice_intern

Thank you, I have set the auto-recovery to 1 minute.

Do you have a backup (same Link)?

Thank you, I have set the auto-recovery to 1 minute.

Just to clarify: Don’t confuse “auto-recovery” with “auto-backup”. Auto-recover is some king of a “last-resort” but in no way a replacement of

• regular saving of a document
  • having a backup / versioning strategy for important documents

If your LibreOffice instance started to freeze regularly recently, I’d suspect a corrupt LibreOffice user profile and I’d give the following procedure a try:

To reset the user profile perform:

• Start LibreOffice
  • Start in Safe Mode using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Archive profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Select option Reset to factory settings
  • Activate [x] Reset entire user profile
  • Click button Apply Changes and Restart

Note Installed extensions need to be reinstalled and customized settings to be repeated.