Writer freezes on Mac OSX Silicon after drag & dropping pictures

Hello,
Writer was working well since yesterday.

Since I made the new Libre Office update (7.3), it freezes 10 times per day, just after I screenshot a picture and try to drag and drop it directly in Writer. It’s impossible to unfreeze so I have to force quit and I lose all that’s not been saved…

I tried to come back to an older version of Libre Office (7.2…) but oddly the problem is still there.

What can I do to solve this problem ?

My config : macOS Monterey M1 Silicon

I see from the release notes, LibreOffice 7.3 Community: Release Notes - The Document Foundation Wiki, that a rendering backend based on Skia was used in 7.3.

Maybe, in 7.2 go to LibreOffice > Preferences > LibreOffice > View and disable Use Skia (or hardware acceleration or similar) and see if problem goes away.

1 Like

Hi ! thanks for your answer. I didn’t find how to disable Skia from this menu :confused:

MacLibreOfficePreferences

1 Like

Sorry !! read too fast :slight_smile:
I don’t see Skia or hardware acceleration

I see on your image under Graphics Output that Use hardware acceleration is already disabled.

See if dragging and dropping images in LibreOffice Safe Mode (Help > Restart in Safe mode > Continue in Safe Mode) works without problem. If it is OK then the issue might lie with your user profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki . Back up your current profile before resetting.

From what I have read on a search, the file format for screenshots from the default application on Mac is png, so you could just paste directly into Writer instead (Writer saves pasted images in png format). For rapid pasting retaining order you might find it easier to set the default anchor point to As character, LibreOffice > Preferences > LibreOffice Writer > Formatting Aids and under Image set Anchor to As character

1 Like

Thanks I’m trying this and I’ll tell you!

What can I do to solve this problem ?

Have you tried to remove the image again, to delete it?

If you take images from external sources (e.g. from the Internet), first save them to your PC, e.g. in the default “Images” folder.
Use the function provided by LibreOffice for inserting images. Select the “Insert image…” icon in the “Standard” toolbar or in the Insert>Image... menu.

See also:

Presetting the anchorage - as of version 7.1

Set anchorage for the image

In which file format do you save your documents?

1 Like

Thanks for your message!
I’m using screenshots I take from my live classes. I need to be fast at inserting them as there are a lot, so it would be quite difficult to use the insert function each time. But when I do this, there’s no problem.