Writer: How to export Emoticons & co to PDF (✅,...)

I can’t get emoticons (:tomato: :+1::white_check_mark::ballot_box_with_check::point_right::red_circle::large_blue_circle::negative_squared_cross_mark::umbrella::no_entry:✓:heavy_check_mark::heavy_multiplication_x:✗✘ :apple::broccoli:) to show up on the exported PDF.
Is there a trick to it?

Here are my export settings.

This is my version information:
Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.3
Calc: threaded

The Emoticons are special CHARACTERS. You must embed the character set (the Font) into the document and into the PDF export - if the license of the actual Font allows you to do it. Use the really free Fonts.

1 Like

The Emojis are NOT special characters! They have the UNiCODE-Types from U+1f600…1f1ff (hex). When you export your WRiTER or CALC sheet to a html.file, you can see all of them. Not so to export to a pdf.file. I have afterwards insert any Emoji onto that empty place of the exported pdf.sheet (MacOS: Preview) whereas LO cannot export a lot of UNiCODE-characters.

That part of the Unicode table I meant as “special characters”. I think, it is the terminology for the rare used characters in the LO.

Wrong! LO does nor “export” characters. It just copies the encoding to the output file. By default, fonts are not embedded in the PDF (to reduce file size). Emoticons are not present in many font files (again to have a font file of manageable size). Thus, you must request font embedding, where the used characters (and only them) are stored in the PDF, so that the glyphs will display correctly in the case the desired font is not installed on the reader’s computer.

If PDF emoticons don’t display on your own computer (where the required font is assumed to be installed), something else is at stake. So provide a 1-page sample with clear indication of needed font. Attach both an .odt and the corresponding .pdf. To circumvent an AskLO site limitation, change the latter file extension from .pdf to .pdf.odt.

I have EmojiOne font installed on my Windows 11 computer; it has two font faces, Black & White and Colour. I also have Segoe UI Emoji font (Microsoft restrictive licence).

If I create a Writer document using Segoe UI Emoji font and export it to pdf:

• In LibreOffice 7.3.1.3 it creates a pdf with Segoe UI Emoji embedded but the pdf displays Emoji One B&W, see attached pdf. Maybe it displays differently on a different computer, I would be interested to know.
  • In LibreOffice 7.6.3.2 it creates a pdf with Segoe UI Emoji embedded and also displayed

I assume there were some changes between the versions. Consider upgrading to a more recent version.
ExportEmojisToPdf.odt (15.7 KB)
ExportEmojisToPdf_7-3-1-3.pdf (39.4 KB)
ExportEmojisToPdf_7-6-3-2.pdf (45.9 KB)

Your PDFs both display the emojis: BW for the 7-3-1-3 version, colour for 7-6-3-2. Here: Fedora 39 (linux), Okteta PDF viewer.

Thank you.
Curiously, if I open the B&W pdf (ExportEmojisToPdf_7-3-1-3.pdf) in Draw 7.3.1.3 then it renders the Emojis in colour again and the Font is shown as SegoeUIEmoji

If I open the colour pdf (ExportEmojisToPdf_7-6-3-2.pdf) in Draw 7.3.1.3 then it renders the Emojis in B&W but different shape and the font is shown as Arial

If I open both in Draw 7.6.3.2 then both show colour Emojis

Exact same behaviour with LO 7.6.4.1 under Fedora 39 (Linux 6.6.6). Both files display colour emojis. But I don’t know which font face was used (I have no Segoe of any variant in my computer).

All I can tell is Okular (PDF viewer) and Draw (LO globally?) have different substitution algorithms. The only difference between the PDFs is in the font face designation:

• 7-3-1-3: Sogoe UI Emoji (with spaces)
  • 7-6-3-2: SegoeUIEmoji (without spaces)

This may explain the difference in substitution by Okular, choosing a font face for 7-3-1-3 where the emojis are not colour-encoded.