writer:I cannot figure out how to restart page numbering in different style in master document

Good evening,
I want page numbering in two ways. The first in roman numbers (somathing like an intro) and after about ten pages after in normal everyday numbers.
I have tried the " Page Numbers - LibreOffice Help" way but it doesn’t seem to be working on master documents
any ideas?
kind regards,
Sofopoulos m

Master document or ordinary document, page numbering formatting is a property of page styles.

The fact that you require a part of your document with roman page numbers and another part with “ordinary” numbers calls for two independent page styles. Perhaps, you need also parts with unnumbered pages, like a front cover and a back cover. These too must have their own page styles.

The way page numbers appear is set in Page tab of the page style: a drop-down menu offers many choices.

Once you have defined your page styles, you have to tell Writer when to use such and such style. You do that with a page break, not a simple page break like Ctrl+Enter or Insert>Page Break, because it will continue on next page in the same style. You must Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break where you can choose the page style in effect after the break and eventually restart page numbering to an arbitrary page number.

Of course, a page number field must have been inserted in the header or footer, other you won’t see the change.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.