Writer insert image comes out red

I was very happy using libreoffice writer until I ran into this stubborn Issue in writer when inserting tif image, and it comes out shades of red, all other colors are missing. Got to be an explanation and fix for a bug so fundamental in a function like image insertion. Thanks in advance.

It doesn’t happen on my installation. Do you want to share a tif that turns red?

Is this a recent update? Maybe turning Skia off might help, Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and untick Skia.

Re Ask/Getting started you should give some details of OS and version

OK. I found a 16bit gamma integer 35MB TIF file in Adobe RGB 4 that turns red. I’ll see if I can make it turn normal tomorrow.

Went to Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View to turn off Skia, but there was no Skia there to untick. BTW what is Skia? Also, since you have found an instance of the bug, I’m assuming you don’t need any more from me. Let me know if you do. Thanks for checking out this deal breaker problem.

If you are using an older version of LO then there might be OpenGL instead, if you are on MacOS I don’t think you will see Skia, just hardware acceleration (path to Options is different too). In any event, that doesn’t seem to be the problem so ignore that.

Convert TIF to 8 bit. GIMP can convert to 8 bit for you, Image > Precision > 8 bit integer

It seems that LibreOffice doesn’t support 16 channel TIFFs, I assume it wouldn’t then support 32 bit TIFFs either, it certainly doesn’t support 16 bit floating point precision at all.

If you need to publish these high bit colour images then you should be using inDesign or other DTP software that is known to handle them and use the colour profiles. Maybe Scribus can work with them.

I wouldn’t post it as a bug as those images are not intended for normal office software; that’s just my opinion. Cheers, Al

2021-05-10 Workaround: You can instead save the image as 16 bit png and it will display normally and without information loss.

I would still recommend that once graphics editing of the image is completed, that an 8 bit image is exported. There will be no visible difference in printing or on screen and the file size is halved

I did post it as a bug, tdf#142151

Re: If you need to publish these high bit colour images then you should be using inDesign or other DTP software that is known to handle them and use the colour profiles. Maybe Scribus can work with them.

If you are promoting libreoffice writer as a replacement for microsoft word, it needs to handle the various image formats as word always has. Tif is the most important of these formats, as it retains all the color and pixel integrity of a bitmap at a fraction of the file size. Even better bitwise is the LZW compressed tif. Not having that format for lossless reasonable file size images is a deal breaker, and I’m back to my old 2007 version of word.

Re bug 142151 a patch has been created which will be available in LibreOffice 7.3.4, see comment https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142151#c8, and 7.2.7

According to https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

• 7.3.4 scheduled mid June
  • 7.2.7 scheduled mid May
1 Like

Re: If you need to publish these high bit colour images then you should be using inDesign or other DTP software that is known to handle them and use the colour profiles. Maybe Scribus can work with them.

If you are promoting libreoffice writer as a replacement for microsoft word, it needs to handle the various image formats as word always has. Tif is the most important of these formats, as it retains all the color and pixel integrity of a bitmap at a fraction of the file size. Even better bitwise is the LZW compressed tif. Not having that format for lossless reasonable file size images is a deal breaker, and I’m back to my old 2007 version of word.

Re: If you are promoting libreoffice writer as a replacement for microsoft word,
Never has anyone here touted LibreOffice as a replacement for M$ Office. You are here on a question/answer page where users, like you, try to give smart answers. If you don’t like LibreOffice or you are not satisfied with some things, you should contact TDF directly or go to the Developers or you can post a Bug.

Sorry, did not realize this forum was not communicating with the developers, and thought I was posting a bug. The name itself, libreoffice, implies it is a replacement for microsoft office, and writer is its version of word. That is how it is advertised

The main reason for having 16 bit images is to be able to convert to a different colour space such as CMYK, without clipping.

By the time the image goes into a document it should already be in its final colour space. That is the job of the graphics editor. That’s why I though it was minor. Cheers, Al

Better use Zip compression for 16 bit TIFF; there is an issue with LZW for 16 bit which results in the file size not being reduced much or even expanded.

@michaelgem

If you are promoting libreoffice writer as a replacement for microsoft word,

Never has anyone here touted LibreOffice as a replacement for M$ Office.
You are here on a question/answer page where users, like you, try to give smart answers.
If you don’t like LibreOffice or you are not satisfied with some things, you should contact TDF directly or go to the Developers or you can post a Bug. Thanks.

Please read this “How to use the Ask site”

and I’m back to my old 2007 version of word.

Good luck!

The name itself, libreoffice, implies it is a replacement for microsoft office, and writer is its version of word.

LOL, thanks! That made my day.
Although kept in secret, the ancestor of English word “office” was invented shortly before creation of MS Office, by ancient Latins. LibreOffice was named without any relation to MS Office, but rather as a “temporary” replacement to unavailable “OpenOffice”, in anticipation of passing the brand (which has never happened). The “OpenOffice”, in turn, was referring to “Open version of StarOffice”, so again it was referring to a different product that was its origin.

And no, LibreOffice is not a replacement for MS Office; it is created around completely different ideas and document model; using completely different architecture and workflow principles (based on styles). And yes, you can largely get the same or similar results using both, so for some, that may serve as a replacement (in a broad sense).

1 Like

But regardless, this is a bug, and @EarnestAl has already filed it. Thanks to you both!