Writer - inserting a caption onto a figure results in a bug

Hi, I introduced a figure into my text but it seems to bug out: no matter how much i drag and stretch at it, it won’t set into a satisfactory position. The pictures just jumps out of bounds and i can’t bring it back in. This is very frustrating.

Edit: OS: Windows 10, LO: 6.4.0.3 (x64) and image with formatting marks:

The picture was on top of the page. I right clicked on it and added a caption. Then the image sort of jumped out. This is where it thinks the image is:

image description

If i try to drag it back in, it just sort of dissapears.

I tried opening it in a fresh writer: it works there, so this problem is probably caused by the original formatting (this is a Word template)

If you expect any decent answer, edit your question for OS name and LO version. Describe exactly how and where you inserted the picture (where was the cursor at time of insert, how you “moved” it, …).

Your screenshot does not show text boundaries nor formatting marks. This is enabled in the View menu. These hints may help.

Note this is a Question & Answer site, not a forum. There is no conversation and answers are reserved for solutions. Please take care to edit instead of answering.

A tip to avoid typing empty paragraphs to space below the image: right-click on the frame containing both the image and the caption (if you click only on the picture it will not work) and Wrap>Wrap Off. The captioned image will “protect” the full width of its area from margin to margin preventing other text from being laid aside.

Right-click the picture and select Anchor > As character. That seems to stop over-energetic pictures.

The picture doesn’t “disappear”. The caption added an outer frame. The picture which is now offset is clipped by this outer frame.