Writer loses track of current page when I change to multi-page view

If I switch from single page view to multi-page view or vice-versa, it loses the current page in the document and sends me off to somewhere else in the document. Same thing happens if I increase or decrease the number of pages displayed on the screen at one time. It will send me to another page in the document. Why can’t I stay on the same page? Why send me off to a random page?

TIA
Win 10, Writer 7.4.3.2 x64

1 Like

It will send me to another page in the document.

This is not the case with me.

Try:
Personal Data in LibreOffice

Version: 7.4.4.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 85569322deea74ec9134968a29af2df5663baa21
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL

Does it show the page with your cursor in it and the following page?

EarnestAl, if I am on page 150 single page view, and I go to multi-page view it displays the last page of the document which is the index. If I scroll back to page 150 I notice the text caret is still there. If while in multi-page view if I click on text on page 150 and then use the zoom tool at the bottom right of the screen, I will get more pages on the screen AND it stays on the current page which is great. Only when I switch back and forth between single page view and multi-page view will it display the wrong page on the screen.

Is there way to jump to the page where the caret is located?

I’m not in front of a computer right now so can’t test, but try using arrow key to move cursor one space left or right, it might should return you to the cursor position.

Shift+F5 should take you to the position when the document was last saved but there is a bug where it doesn’t work in long documents.

Probably best to report a bug, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

2 Likes

tdf#141586

2 Likes

It would be nice if Writer could reopen the document on the page it was last closed on. I usually have to insert a special symbol like “@@@CurPage@@@” in the text before I save the document. I used to use a bookmark called “_CurPage” or “_EditPage_comment” or something like that, but I find embedding text “@@@” easier to work with because I can visually see them when paging through the document. I’ll add a comment when necessary to remind me of what work I have to do on the page. I just have to remember to scan for this text before printing the final document to get rid of any of them that remain.

User data is also used […] to mark last edit position in document, so that when author opens the document later, it opens at the last edit position" (see LibreOffice Help on User Data).

Entering your symbols in comments and using the Navigator to navigate through comments by might be safer.

2 Likes

You’re right. Comments do look better than inserting comments into the text. It is easy enough to move through the Comments using Ctrl+Alt+PgDn & Ctrl+Alt+PgUp. The Comments in the Navigator gives me a list of comments.

Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

1 Like