Writer : Make a table with multiple columns fit on one single page?

Hello,

I’m currently facing an issue trying to create a table on writer. It is a big table that I want to fit on an entire page. The first line is small, and all the ones coming behind it are a little bigger, but they must all have the same size. And here is my issue ; when I try to select all these lines and to distribute them evenly, the table spills over onto the next page - even though I previously deactivated in the Table properties the possibility for the table to spread on more than one page.

Could you please help me figure out what’s going wrong here ?

Thanks

Please reopen your question and improve it. Don’t forget OS name, LO version and save format.

Natively, there is no way to prevent automatic table expansion. Every cell is a Writer “sub-document” and cell will be expanded to hold the contents (just like pages are allocated to handle document size).

You can play with many parameters to control the global table size:

• column width
  • configuration of cell paragraph style (spacing, indents, font size, …); eventually apply different styles to different columns/rows
  • table parameters such as row height (but text may then be clipped)
  • use a landscape page if the table is wider than tall

Also, it is imperative not to create your table with so-called “table styles” (use exclusively None). Otherwise, as soon as you modify anything in your cells, the underlying macros fire and reformat the table to their built-in specifications, wiping your formatting. So tell us how you created the table.

What do you mean by “distribute [lines] evenly”? Which menu command (if any)? Do you want to freeze row height?

For best advice, attach a sample document and explain clearly the expected result from an author’s point view (don’t explain the steps you followed).

2 Likes