Thanks for sharing your test results, I didn’t take into account the binary-tristate difference, for example
As always, it is a cost-benefit balance. In my case, I only produce documents for my personal use, so with maximum freedom of formatting.
Furthermore, I always work on two parallel planes, use manual gui and automation with starbasic even at an in-depth level.
Working with parameterized search functions and with well-constructed styles, it is possible, for example, to select at the same time all the headings of a document (just one common attribute is enough, for example the fontfamily) or only some subsets (e.g. only headings 1-2-3) combining two attributes.
And if you want, you can combine styles with the logical or operator with small runtime modifications of the style attributes.
The paragraph style search, on the other hand, obtains only one heading at a time.
Or you can quickly extract all the text blocks associated with definitions, if their charbackcolor or charcolor or fontfamily is unique in the document.
writer unlike calc does not allow you to add a textrange to a pre-existing textranges (or rather, in the case of texts with only paragraphs it can but is very complicated)
Being able to directly select the required textranges with a single search operation is very important, especially if you work with generalized functions parameterized on the type of information to be found.
It is a technique that greatly reduces the code to be created
It should be added that the search in the selection is only possible with dispatch, strangely this option has never been supported by the search descriptors.
I have already experienced that some attributes give problems (eg CharTransparence), but others also work very well in combination, at least from the first tests I ran.
The advantages, for now, outweigh the disadvantages
I’ll keep you up-to-date.