Writer page style

Not sure if it’s a bug as I’ve run into two issues with 7.0.3.1 today.
I’ve set up a document such that the header/footers are similar, but different. I set it up such that I use a manual break and force the next page to be the different style. The issue is that the new style is being reset to the previous style

1. Create 3 “sheet pages” with different headers based off of Copy Page Style
  2. Start document using page style “a”
  3. Insert>More Breaks...>Set type “manual break” & page style “b”
  4. insert section (entire file) from file_b.ott (NOTE It’s a template file)
  5. Insert>More Breaks...>Set type “manual break” & page style “c”
  6. insert section (entire file) from file_c.ott (NOTE It’s a template file)

Output

• Page style “a” appears to stick
  • Page style “b” changes to page style “c”
  • If I correct page style “b”, page style “c” is changed to page style “b”

Editing Page Break does NOT work as it does not allow me to set the page style “AFTER” the break, only “BEFORE”.

other

C:\fakepath\Before.png

I’ll see if I can create a sample set of files to upload.

after saving and reopening, it revert back

I have similar issues sometimes with different versions of LibreOffice. However, they are intermittent, I can’t reproduce them and prepare a test case. Well, that’s life.

Edit your question to attach a sample file with the paperclip tool. Note: use double-Enter to separate paragraphs in the question.

Replace private data with garbage, e.g. “lorem ipsum”. Max 3 pages.

I don’t understand “header/footer are similar but different”. This seems to call for three page styles.

You save in .docx format, right? Because that will always corrupt your page styles, and therefore your headers and footers.

@anon87010807, Never save in DOC or DOCX. These are my native odt and ott files

@gabix, any other questions that I may have missed? Since you have the same issue, I’m sure it’s been posted and I didn’t see it.

@ajittoz, I know how to attach. The current file has proprietary information, so I need to strip it or create a dummy file.Thank you for the “pictures” being shown. I forgot the “!”. NOTE: my document has 10 style pages so the sample above is abridged. See update above

Considering your document structure with file insertions (you write “section”, do you also create sections?), I can’t try and make an equivalent document. It has no chance to reproduce your problem as I will build it with my workflow. I already made much more complex docs in the sort of yours and I know which pitfalls to avoid.

Without a thorough analysis of your styles and a representative sample (sort out how to “lorem ipsum” it), I can’t diagnose in the blue.

Partial answer to the question

##Page break “after”

A page break is always attached to a paragraph. You can choose to make it active Before or After the paragraph as is possible from the dialog. You can also switch to a new page style.

However, Before and After are not equivalent at all.

A Before page break is perfectly defined. Its position is at the very start of the paragraph. An After page break is a “request for the future”. At time of insertion, you do not know where it will occur. You might even get a page overflow within the paragraph requesting the allocation of a new page. How should this new page be styled? The same as the current page, allowing to continue formatting the same as the beginning of the paragraph and making the new page nearly empty? According to the new page style, providing an early switch?

I think this is because this dilemma that no switch to another page style is allowed with an After page break. Unfortunately, the documentation says nothing about it.

Related to the unpredictable position of an After break, trying to click on the break dotted line on the screen will not allow you to Edit Page Break. Most controls are disabled.

What you can do is to change the paragraph properties, but BEWARE! this is **direct-formatting and the most reliable way to create formatting problems.

Only Before page breaks are guaranteed to give you “professional” expected results.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

This answers why my Before appearedto give me the correct page sheet, it was just not intuitive as I thought is was based off of the Break, not the paragraph. Now, the $1M questions is why is it reverting back?

When you request After, apparently all settings are erased. This deletes the request for page style change and you end up with a single one (at least since the last Before break).

NOTE to others: This causes an issue if you break up your document in the future. The Text Flow Tick Mark is embedded in the first paragraph. You can’t select the whole section as, for me, this showed the Tick Mark unchecked, yet, the first paragraph showed the Tick Mark checked

@ElSid: If you select more than one paragraph, the check box can’t reflect that several states may exist across the paragraph. However, if you click the box, you set it for all paragraphs. Then, you click again to uncheck it; this will clear it for all paragraphs.

Once again, don’t do that because it is direct formatting and it will lead you to formatting problems (unless you fully understand what is at stake). Work with styles and exclusively with styles until you know which direct formatting can be tolerated.

Not true “However, if you click the box, you set it for all paragraphs. Then, you click again to uncheck it; this will clear it for all paragraphs.”

Like I said above, I could not clear the setting and had to track down the paragraph with the tick mark. This is because I broke up existing documents/templates that use styles