Writer/pasting another block of text creates new page break

My Q:
Circumstances:
I created a simple page in Writer. I then typed in a paragrapg of text in default style. I then copied & pasted that text below the first paragraph I already created. I did this using a two column format. It seems to only do this when I create more than one column.
Problem:
This creates a new page break which I don’t want - I then have to go to the next page and backpspace/delete to get the 2nd paragraph to appear under the first one.

I can’t understand what I’m doing wrong. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic as currently I’m having to place the cursor at the top of the text on the newly created page and backspace!
Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

AllEars,

With the cursor in the first paragraph of the new page, try opening menu FormatParagraphText Flow tab, Breaks, and unmark Insert.

This seems to happen when I create more than one collumn - I assume it’s a setting therein - but I still don’t know how/which setting is causing this :frowning:

This is no solution to your problem, so move it into an edit of your question.

While you’re at it, describe the circumstances. You mention a multi-column environment. There are also column breaks which behave the same as page breaks when they are in last column.

Have you enabled View>Formatting Marks to see the formatting codes which are invisible in raw document view?

Copied content from web pages tend to carry “structure elements” with the content, with “div” blocks and other segmentation which adds framed sections and sometimes unwanted breaks in the content flow.

The best workaround I have found is to use Paste special - ctrl-shift+V - and paste as unformatted text. This ditches the frames and breaks, but also loses all formatting, so you have to reapply any required formats. This is not necessarily bad, as some formatting also implies a specific outline level, at best applied through Writer styles. (Headings and such.)

1 Like