Writer regularly crashes, corrupts, restores documents

I’ve used Libre Writer for a few years now - I’ve gotten used to it crashing regularly, then loading a ‘restore corrupt document’ or somesuch, before it will open another document file

I guess it typically happens when I already have one or two files open, and open another, whereupon it crashes/corrupts the one or two that were open, and restores that/those files before it opens the newly selected file.

I used to figure memory leaks, as ctrl-shift-esc often showed multiple Libre threads which would stay open even after I closed Libre Office, and I would have to select ‘end task’ for each thread in Task Manager to stop them.

Not sure if that’s less with latest version, but I’m still getting almost daily crash/corrupt/restore writer documents I had open when I try to open another document file.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

You have not said which version of LO nor which operating system you are using.

I would hazard a guess that your user profile is corrupted, see LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki . I would be inclined to close LO, copy your current user profile somewhere safe as a back up and then rename your user folder. Following restart of LO, hopefully your new profile will be more stable. If it is then copy back those useful folder such as autocorrect, templates, wordbook, etc and see if problem solved.

thanks - I’ve renamed my C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4*user* folder to user-old to test, and will plan to let you know how it goes !

LO 7.2.5.2 (x64) Build Log - 499f9727c189e6ef3471021d6132d4c694f357e5 - core - Gitiles

Windows 10.0 Build 19043

I used Everything Search to find the wordbook, template, and autocorr folders in my C:\Program Files\LibreOffice*share* -

so I guess that’s what you meant to copy later - to the user folder ? I didn’t see the connection to C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user

maybe there is …

thanks so far !

The folders are sub folders of user folder, no search needed.

The etc implies there are other folders you might like to back up too. In the link to user profile, there is an explanation of each of the folders in user folder, you need to determine for yourself which ones are important to you. Just don’t add back config as there is probably a problem there.

OK found them - thanks !