Writer says an oxps file is corrupt - but it is not.

I have this oxps file that I made from a pdf file by printing to the xps document writer in win10 out of the pdf reader pdfx-change editor.

It opens in ‘xps viewer’ which seems to be part of win10 without a problem. And prints out from there, too, with no problem. So it certainly seems to be alright.

But when I ask Libre Writer to open it I get an error message that it is corrupt and do I want office to repair it?

When I ask office to repair it I then get the message that it cannot be repaired and therefore cannot be opened and that’s the end of it.

Interesting. Anything I can do about that, do you think?

Did you find information somewhere that LibreOffice is able to open OXPS files at all? I am under impression that it never supported this type; and “corrupted” message is quite understandable from the point of view of a software which tries to detect a filter from a hundred of available, and can’t find a suitable one (or even finds some that looks similar, tries to apply it, but than discovers that file does not properly conform to that format).

I didn’t, no. I tried it, is all. And was heartened when it appeared to pick it up and start in on it. Then when it gave that message I thought it knew what it was doing. When I was a programmer if my prog didn’t deal with that format it’d say so. Right after reading the extension. And if it wanted to try something else by ‘trying a filter from a hundred available’ it’d tell the client what it was doing and offer options.
I certainly wouldn’t claim a file to be corrupted if I didn’t know the format.

However I’m happy to use your comment as a definitive answer if you like: “Writer doesn’t handle oxps”.

Just put it up as an answer. I’ll mark it.

:slight_smile:

When I was a programmer …

Please note the level of complexity involved. LibreOffice does not rely on file extension: it opens “.XLS” that actually are CSVs or XML or HTML (really common thing in the wild); it analyses content to tell different .DOC or .WPS formats; it works on platforms that don’t rely on extension at all; it has plugin filter system, … so it’s not possible to reliably tell in advance if a file is “known” to the program; neither it’s possible to tell users everything LO has to say, without overwhelming user with totally technical information. So that passage from your, which reads like “I see that those who work on LibreOffice don’t know a tiny bit of what is known to myself, and can’t program” is a bit … undeserved.