Writer table, AutoFormatStyles: changes number format despite formatting as text

OS Win 11, LibreOffice, V 7.4, Writer
Create a table in empty document.
Insert a column of numbers with several digits after a comma.
Assign the AutoFormat “Academic” to the table - number formatting disabled.
Make sure, that all cells have the format “text”
→ Numbers without leading zeros get a 0 added
→ Numbers get rounded to 2 digits after the comma
→ Low numbers with more than 2 zeros after the comma get rounded to 0
(See attached file for a sample demo)

Desired behavior: leave numbers exactly as they were entered.
libre office_numbers in tables get rounded.odt (20.1 KB)

Switch off:
Table → Number Recognition

When you’re editing your question, there is a “out” mail basket (with an upward arrow): this is the “Upload” tool. Press on it, browse your local file system and select a file.

Caution! these so-called “styles” are very stubborn: once you have selected such a layout, your own formatting variant will systematically be erased by the associated macros when they are triggered. If this is what I suspect (waiting for the sample file to check), you’ll have to redesign your table manually.

So that might be the issue then. What a pity!
But then it is a true bug in the AutoFormat at least for the style “Academic”. The number formatting was explicitly deactivated, when I assigned the style - so it should not activate.
It is super helpful not having to format each table individually when writing an academic paper. And the styles appearance does follow largely APA guidelines. It is not a matter of taste, how the tables must be formatted.

I confirm the problem is caused by using “table styles”. You have no other choice than formatting yourself manually your table with the help of custom or user-modified built-in paragraph styles and character styles.

So-called “table styles” are probably one of the worst designed features in Writer (personal opinion; does not involve developers). Usual styles (paragraph, character, page, frame, list) define a collection of settings under user control to be applied to the “object”. There are precedence rules between the various style categories but result can be easily altered by user and these modifications are strictly followed by Writer.

On the contrary, “table styles”, which I’d rather call “table templates”, are implemented by macros which can’t be modified by user (I use the word “macro” but they are probably code within Writer). In order to stick to the template, these macros are triggered by various events, such as row or column addition, and they repaint the whole table (this is necessary for alternating background for instance). Unfortunately, their whole formatting is done with direct formatting and don’t use styles. You may decorate your table anyway you like, the macros will always replace or override your decorations.

Personally, I stay away of this feature because it caused me more problems than real help.

One way to partially overcome the situation is to store a model/template of your table in an AutoText entry. Don’t hesitate to create an oversized table (with more columns than needed and a moderate number of rows) as it is easier to remove unused parts than to add new ones. Row number is less critical because you create a correctly formatted new row by pressing Tab in the last position of the last cell.