Writer: Template and Custom properties

I am reviewing and editing a custom template. Compared to previous version, I added two new custom property items. I saved the new version as a template in a managed directory (one which is defined in Tools>Options, LibreOffice>Paths).

However, when I use it, new items do not always appear in File>Properties, Custom Properties:

• File>New>Templates, selecting the required template and Open

The new items don’t show up. Apart from that, styles are up-to-date.

• Double clicking on the .ott template file: new items are present

• Double-clicking on the original .odt (this just opens the file; I know this doesn’t activate the template feature): new items are present

Are there limitations or constraints when editing template files? What is the difference between double-clicking on the template and opening it through the New menu?

Configuration: Fedora Linux 30, LO 6.2.7.1

I opened a blank document in Writer (default template). Then I created three custom properties (Text, Date, Number).
I saved the document as a document template.

Then open via File>New>Templates.
All three user defined properties are present.

The path is: C: \ Users \ USERNAME \ AppData \ Roaming \ LibreOffice \ 4 \ user \ template

When opening the OTT, there should be no difference, whether via the menu or directly the file.

I hope I could help you a little.

EDIT_20191005-21.05-MESZ

I opened the template as a document and added a fourth custom property. Then overwrite the original template (Save as Template). I reopened the template and the fourth custom property also exists.

With me Windows 10 Home; Version 1903; 64-Bit | LibreOffice, Version: 6.3.2.2 (x64).

And what happens when you add another custom property and resave the template? I have no problem with a fresh template but this one hab been updated. This is the first time I add new properties in an existing template. There is no issue with added/updated styles.

See my edited answer.

I think there may be a cache issue.

I manually deleted all copies of custom templates in all template directories (I customised Tools>Options, LibreOffice>Paths adding another directory in my home dir, so that I could “play” with the template without the hassle to hunt for deeply buried dir within an invisible folder). When this erasure was done, I File>Templates>Save as template once again. LO warns me that I’m going to overwrite an existing template with same name (although I cleaned everything manually).

I suspect there is a cache somewhere and I don’t know how to clear it.

I have manually deleted all copies of custom templates

I assume you did not delete with the template management, right?

LO warns that I’m going to overwrite an existing template with same name

And there will be the problem. The template manager does not know that you deleted manually.

Unfortunately, I can not tell you where he saves it.

I assume you did not delete with the template management, right?

Yes, because the template management has “strange” ways of overwriting templates: it does not replace a file but adds a numeric suffix to the name. I was then confused when File>New>Templates in presence of multiple “overwritten” templates because I could not identify the latest version: my names from the properties contain underscores, some of which are removed by the template manager (though they are still present in the Title). To overcome this ambiguity, I deliberately erase everything to have a “clean” directory, but I admit I may disturb the manager.

Additionally, when you save an existing .odt as a template, the .odt is changed into an .ott instead of creating an additional file (I have written my .odt directly in the template directory; this may be an error).

As you see, I may misuse the template manager because I don’t know exactly how it works.

As you see, I may misuse the template manager because I don’t know exactly how it works.

I did not have that situation either. But maybe there is the possibility to reset the user profile?

PS: I have just created a description of document templates, but in German.

@Hrbrgr: ich kann Deutsch lesen.

Na prima. Wähle dich auf diese Wiki-Seite, (eine etwas ältere Beschreibung zu Version 5.1).

Dort unter Punkt 10 “Artbeitsdokumente/Referenzen”, Referenz 1, findest du eine Beschreibung zum Herunterladen zu Version 6.3.

Ich wünsche dir viel Erfolg.

Danke für die Referenzen

Ja, immer gerne. :slight_smile: