wrong symbol display in math formulae

Hello, Some symbol are not well displayed on Math, such as “equal” or brackets. I have disk instaed of “=” and bubble instead of “(” or “)” Opensymbol seems to be installed and present in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice

(A + B) = C appears like this : Pasteboard - Uploaded Image
The odf file > wrongsymbols.odf

I’m on Debian buster and LO 6.1.5.2 Locale fr-FR (fr_FR.utf8)

Thank for your help ! Frank

Attach a sample file to your question for further analysis if you’re 100% sure that OpenSymbols is installed and active. For that edit your question and use the “paperclip” tool.

May be you need to rebuild your font cache (fc-cache -fv) - see also Fonts - Debian Wiki. Just checked on my Debian Buster test system using LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 and it doesn’t show the problem.

I’ve already rebuild cache… thanks

That’s what I get from your file on Debian Buster + LibreOffice 6.1.5.2:

image description

Your sample displays normally here. Hence it is definitely a font issue. Instead of using CLI commands in a terminal, try to use the GUI font utility. You perhaps did not store the font in the adequate directory.

@ajlittoz

You perhaps did not store the font in the adequate directory.

user@system:> dpkg --search  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/opens___.ttf
fonts-opensymbol: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/opens___.ttf

=> it looks the correct place as stated by OP (but I agree that it is a font issue on OP’s systems).

I recall a problem we had with some glyphs on the MathCAD software. The wrong characters appeared on about a third of the students’ computers. It took us a while to locate the cause. The game “Championship Manager” installed a font with the same name as MathCAD’s symbol font. They had to uninstall the game and then run a repair on the MathCAD install.

Could it be some rogue install (probably not through an official distro repository) overwriting the font?

You don’t have an OpenSymbol font in your OS possibly. And I would suggest you to update your LibreOffice to current 7.0.5 version from https://libreoffice.org/download

Hello. Opensymbol is installed and present in usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice. fonts-opensymbol is present in Synaptic. I prefer to keep debian buster repository. Thanks

You might need to look at the owner and access rights for your fonts. Or just set them:

• sudo chown -R root:root /usr/share/fonts/truetype
  • sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/*
  • sudo chmod 644 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/*slash asterisk
  • sudo fc-cache -f -v

Not sure if you need to reboot, but at least you need to logout/login after this.

This site drives me bonkers. Whoever wrote this editor needs his head examined. I hope you understand the “slash asterisk” part.

@kompilainenn: current version is 7.1.1.2

Hi all,
Thank you very much for all your message. After restart LO Math works fine ! . I suppose fc-cache -fv solves the problem.
Frankimage description