Xls file mistakenly imported as csv file

Hi guys,
I’m running ubuntu 10.10 64 bit, I used LO 3.5 when i encounter this problem. I wanna open xls file, however “text import” dialog pop up as if I opened a csv file. I thought this was a bug in LO 3.5 so i upgraded to the latest version LO 3.5.2, same problem persist.

This is however doesn’t apply to all xls files. Is there anyway so I can force LO to open this XLS file like standard excel file, instead of treating this particularly xls like a csv file? thank you.

Can you share the file?

…so i upgraded to the latest version 3.5.2…
The latest LibO version 3.6.2. I had similar problem - for me it appeared in version 3.5.6, but transition to 3.6.1 helped to solve all problems (files were opened in 3.6 and resaved). In version 3.6.2 problem also does not rise.

Or is a broken file or is a text file with xls extension. Some webs produce xls files to download which are html file or text files with xls extension.

I’m having this too. It started somewhat recently since I updated LibreOffice recently to

The spreadsheets open in OpenOffice, NeoOffice, and Excel. Only LibreOffice treats them as CSV files. Other speadsheets open fine in LibreOffice.

As I don’t remember having had any problem with opening xls-files, I just tested several files. Result: all files open in LibO as xls.

I am using: LibO 3.5.7 on XP/SP3

It seems not to be a LibO bug except in a Linux version.

I’m having a similar problem (see my question for more details). When I open a file as an XLS it tries to do a “Text Import” (like its a CSV file) and the data is corrupt.

Any fix for this? I don’t know if this is actually just a txt/csv file, with some sort of XLS encryption, but whatever it is Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and I’m sure open office opens the file fine.

EDIT: My version is

ADDITIONAL EDIT: This is definitely not a CSV/txt file, I’ve opened it in a hex editor and the contents are much unlike a normal CSV/TXT file

see my comment above and give it a try.

i have the some problem on mac version. And i know the xls files are ok. The problem is the some on .xls and .xlsx files.

Hi Guys sorry for the late response.
I downloaded the xls file from partner’s website for my work, so I guess it’s just bad formatted file or the web dev wrongly creates the file structure(not sure) because if I change the extension name to .ods then the file opens just fine. That being said I notice that in LO this problem goes away, well in my case.

Did you try once to open the file without any extension? If so what was the result?

For me it started when I upgraded on openSUSE x86_64 12.1 from:

Build Date: Sat Jul 14 03:45:10 2012


Build Date: 22-Nov-2012 10:57

This was with a .xls file my banking website generates for me. It definitely is a binary file and not a renamed .html or other text format file.

I’ve also tested with this file on Windows with versions 3.6.2, 3.6.3 and, which all exhibit the same fault…

I’ve opened a bug for it with an example file showing the behaviour: Bug 57689

See my comments in Bugzilla.

I can confirm this bug has been fixed. I tested this with the daily build of So coming releases should be ok…

I have the same problem with a file downloaded from a financial instition. When opened in Excel the file is 7621 rows. When opened in Calc, I get a pop up that the file needs to be imported. When the “Wizard” finishes, there are only 6060 rows :frowning: