Yet another "JRE is Defective" question!

Hi, all, I’m sorry for opening the same question that’s been answered tens of times but I’ve looked through those posts and in those situations it seems the asker installed a 64-bit JRE when they should have installed a 32-bit JRE. I’m actually running the 64-bit version of LibreOffice for Windows under Windows 10, so I thought I would need the 64-bit JRE. I’ve tried both 32- and 64-bit versions of the JRE, versions 1.7 and 1.8, but no matter which JRE I pick in Options > Advanced, I still get this error message.

I’m not familiar with Java or LibreOffice’s source but I am comfortable working with code, so I’m going to see if I can look into this myself, but I was hoping someone else might be able to point out something I’m overlooking.

Hello. First be aware there are some Base problems in which weren’t there in and prior. This has nothing to do with your problem (at least I believe so).

Win seems to always have some type of JRE problem. Another reason I don’t use it anymore (emergency machine in closet). 64-bit LO is supposed to have 64-bit JRE. 32-bit needs 32-bit. If in Options->Advanced you’ve set Use a Java runtime environment check box ON and then see item(s) in the pane just below it, Java is available. Just make sure you select the 64-bit one by clicking the circle to its’ left.

Now if you’ve done all that, it is important to know that in order for it to take effect, ALL LO applications must then be closed. This includes Writer, Calc, etc. If after that it still gives the error, there is another possibility. Running on Linux there are ways to keep the software in the background automatically so re-opening it is quicker. Possibly this is happening in Windows. Your best bet would be to power down the system, wait a minute or two for memory to clear then power back up.

Hopefully something here will help you.

Thank you for your answer, after stepping away for a few hours and coming back, I realized that I made an assumption that I installed the 64-bit LibreOffice based on the .MSI file in my Downloads folder. After actually checking, it turned out that I have the 32-bit version of LibreOffice installed and therefore required a 32-bit JRE.

This makes no sense: “wait a minute or two for memory to clear”. This isn’t the way power off/power on works. When a power off / power on cycle is done the CPU does a hard reset. This happens very fast, think in the order of miliseconds. This starts your OS all over again from scratch. All programs and data are rebuilt from scratch. If some unused memory cell is not explicitly set as part of all of this, then it also should never be explicitly accessed. If it is, it’s a pretty nasty bug.

I’m embarrassed to admit that the issue was that contrary to my issue description, I did not in fact have the 64-bit LibreOffice installed. I based my assumption on the .MSI in my downloads which was 64-bit but it’s apparently not the one I installed. After installing the 32-bit JRE, everything works fine. Sorry for actually repeating the same question.

I apparently need 20 points to accept an answer, so I will just have to comment for now that this was the answer to my problem.