Ask Your Question
0

Paste from external no longer works in Calc

asked 2020-12-01 19:37:13 +0200

fatfreek gravatar image

For many months I've been importing my checking account records from my bank online. The last few months, however, it doesn't work. I just installed LO 6.4.7 moments ago with hopes that my importing problem had been solved.

This was my technique: copy the records and paste them into my text editor (TextPad), which removes all formatting. Next, macro to place semicolon (;) between the fields. Three records look like follows:

11/30/2020;CHASE CREDIT CRD/AUTOPAY;-41.40;23,359.61 11/30/2020;DEPOSIT;53.83;23,401.01 11/27/2020;CHECK 1251;-25.00;23,347.18

Next, copy those records and paste into Calc using Ctrl-V (Paste special never worked). However, nothing happens lately.

My workaround is to save those TextPad records to a text file ("Junk Bank Import.txt", then File / Open in Calc.

Calc intelligently recognizes the semicolon as field delimiter and the records smoothly appear.

However, it would be better if I didn't have to use the workaround.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

It is not clear (for me)

  • How you get the the account records from your bank - as a file? If yes - which format?
  • How your original data look like
  • What has changed in your procedure (since title states "no longer work" - in other words: Does you "technique" describe the workaround procedure? If "yes" - how did it work in the past?


Please use edit to add details to your question. Do not use Add Answer* since answers are reserved for solutions on this site

Opaque gravatar imageOpaque ( 2020-12-01 19:58:49 +0200 )edit
1

Do you need to add Libreoffice to your anti virus list of trusted applications? Kaspersky, for example, apparently won't let untrusted programs access the clipboard when your browser is open on a banking website

Earnest Al gravatar imageEarnest Al ( 2020-12-01 21:12:47 +0200 )edit

This may be root of my problem since closing my browser (Brave) allowed bala's answer below to work. By the way, my original problem may have begun when I switched browsers some months ago.

fatfreek gravatar imagefatfreek ( 2020-12-02 04:25:46 +0200 )edit
1

Yes, it seems to be the Brave browser as the culprit.

I just opened my old Chrome browser and went through my old scripted routine -- copy the bank records from my bank's site into Textpad, run a little macro that places semicolon between fields, copy that fresh group of records into Calc using ordinary Ctrl-V -- and things are back to normal again.

No need to shut down the bank's site while I do this task.

Thanks, Earnest Al, for that "trusted applications" tip.

fatfreek gravatar imagefatfreek ( 2020-12-02 04:48:04 +0200 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2020-12-01 21:25:07 +0200

bala gravatar image

Ctrl+Shift+V(Paste Special) opens a dialog box with 3 options. Select "Use Text Import Dialog" and press OK. In the "Text Import Dialog", select "semicolon" in separator options and press OK. This works.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

Yes, this works, but only after I close the browser at my banking website. (see above tip from Earnest Al). Thanks to both you and Earnest Al.

fatfreek gravatar imagefatfreek ( 2020-12-02 04:29:13 +0200 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2020-12-01 19:37:13 +0200

Seen: 47 times

Last updated: Dec 01 '20