All Comments in my Calc Spreadsheet Have Disappeared [2024]

There are similar topics from 2015 and earlier but the do not assist.

I use the same spreadsheet daily, for hours on end. Today, for no apparent reason, all the comments disappeared. I have checked if the comments are marked as viewable in Options and they are. I can create and delete new comments.

How do I get the missing comments back?

Version: 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: bffef4ea93e59bebbeaf7f431bb02b1a39ee8a59
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22631; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

.ods or .xlsx or else ?

please contribute in tdf#161142 which needs more details.

1 Like

Try this.

1 Like

AS stated also below the linked comment that was recommended:

I asked more about this reply but am now returning to the original offer of help, the file to download “FindDeletedFiles.ods”.
I downloaded the file. I ran it and it found various temp files. I used another app to locate those temp files. Although named as .tmp, they are .ocd [LibreOffice Calc] files. I opened each with Calc and one DID contain the missing comments, i.e. they were all older versions of the Calc document I was editing and one had not yet lost the missing data. So I was able to recover from the appropriate .tmp file.
A massive thank you. It would have taken a lot of work to try and work out which comments were lost and what they said. An EXCELLENT SOLUTION.

Sorry for delay in posting but I had lots of things happen [including the unexpected death of a close friend].

2 Likes