How to recover changes that were made to a writer document, but were not saved when computer closed

I had been working on changes to a already saved file when my battery ran out and turned off my laptop. When I started it again, windows did an update. When I tried to open the document again, it showed up minus all of the changes/additions I made before it shut down. I did not see anything in the recycle bin or any backed up files in the back up folder in the path section. It only happened a few hours ago. Is there a way I can somehow recover that modified document?

Unless you turned on automatic recovery information, there is no hope. I guess this was not enabled because you’d have has a question about recovery of the document open when power outage occurred.

When working in long session, it is a good policy to backup frequently. You can use File>Save a Copy so that you can sequentially number your backups without changing the name of the working document.

I did have it set to automatically backup all files, but apparently when Windows updated my computer upon restart, that setting was changed. I normally do periodically save my work, but apparently not this time. I know I’m screwed. Thanks anyway.

As Windows shut down so quickly, LibreOffice might not have had a chance to clean up.

Look in C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Temp and see if there are any folders beginning with lu with the same date as PC went down. If there is one, look inside the folder and copy the largest file beginning with lu to another location. At that location, change the extension to .ods .odt and try opening it.

Really .ods? The question is tagged writer. Extension should then be .odt.
(But in fact it does not matter as LO analyses the file contents before routing to the ad-hoc component. It only matters for the OS desktop.)

Whoops! Good catch @ajlittoz , I did mean .odt.
On fact the easiest way is not to change the extension but to just open the file from within LibreOffice but I wanted to emphasize opening the copied file.

@Loratika, the attached file will help speed it up (I already uploaded the previous version).
Open the file and click on the “Find Deleted Files” button. A list of files that can be recovered will be generated, indicating the size and date of modification (but there will be no real name). Double click on the file name to open the file.
FindDeletedFiles.ods (12.5 KB)

pc cannot locate the path you gave - checked pc user name first to check. Also, the download just takes to libreoffice calc app?