Asian text disappears in vertical layout

This is a reoccurring problem in LibreOffice Writer (Version 7.3.5.2. on Ubuntu 2204 LTS). In documents that use Asian text, when the text direction is horizontal, everything appears as expected.

However, after setting “Page Style”/“Text direction” to vertical. The Asian text disappears (Western text remains).

I have included the file for reference.
noms-pour-calligraphie.odt (10.6 KB)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Doesn’t disappear with Version: 7.4.0.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: f85e47c08ddd19c015c0114a68350214f7066f5a
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL Jumbo

Indeed, I don’t have the font, so if that happens to be a font-dependent issue, my testing would be unrelated.

Seems to be related to zoom factor. As soon as zoom factor is larger then 100%, Japanese kana disappears. If I change kana font size from 48pt to some smaller value, disappearance threshold varies. For example, with 20pt, I can zoom up to 245%.

Note I have not the specified font and I incur substitution if this can be relevant.

Also, Print preview displays document correctly.

Here: LO 7.3.4.2, Fedora 36, KDE Plasma desktop

1 Like

Nice find!

I checked that it shows at any zoom here on Windows, also in 7.3.0 - so likely some Linux-specific problem.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I haven’t installed the newest version yet, and indeed I might wait until other bugs have been worked out.

There does seem to be some connection with the font. Using a very standard “MS Mincho” font, there is no problem at all. Many other fonts though behave strangely.

There also seems to be a connection with the zoom. I observed the same phenomena as did ajlittoz.

In any case, a pdf of the file also appears correctly, so it can be printed and viewed regardless.

Still it’s a troublesome bug. A great deal of Asian text work is vertical. I should check out the Japanese sites for solutions as well…

Thanks again for your rapid and helpful assistance!

Someone just filed tdf#150558.