AutoCorrect doesn't replace :---: with m-dash

Hello, everyone!

I was typing a poem from a book on Writer and when I clicked Tools > AutoCorrect > Apply and Edit Changes, some of the text was replaced, but some wasn’t. The text was the following:

:---: the one that looks gloomy :---: (Page 1, line 13)

What I wanted to do was to replace both :---: with m-dash. However, only the last one is replaced. It happens for emojis, too. I have AutoCorrect’s [x]While Typing checked. Under AutoCorrect Options, on the Options tab I have unchecked the AutoCorrect while typing checkbox for [x][ ]Use replacement table. I have no clue as to why this happens, and would appreciate if anyone could help.

EDIT:
My Operating System is Xubuntu 22.04.2
LibreOffice Version is 7.4.7

I am also uploading the file for further analysis.
acasa.odt (20.4 KB)

To receive help, be as precise as possible. Edit your question to improve it (don’t use a comment, modify it): OS name, LO version and save format.

It may be possible that within your candidate string :---: some of the dashes is not U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS. This can happen easily (particularly under Window$) if you pressed (or maintained pressed) a modifier key like Shift or Alt. To make sure, attach your document to the question.

EDIT 1
Thanks for configuration info. Please attach your document for fine analysis of characters.

EDIT 2
Your document uses pt_BR which is not installed on my computer. When I type :---: in it, nothing happens. But after I force language for your text to en (for which I know there is an AutoCorrect entry for :---:), I get the em-dash. Have you checked there is an entry for :---: in the transformation table for pt or pt_BR?

1 Like

I tried in your sample file and each of the “formula” :- - -: performed to the m-dash :—:.
After some time the autocorrection didn’t do its work reliably. I opened another file and autocorrect worked satisfyingly… So…

• Try to start in Safe Mode (menu Help).
  • Copy the text as unformatted into another Writer file and try again.

Version: 7.5.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 36ccfdc35048b057fd9854c757a8b67ec53977b6
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

@Grantler It didn’t work for me. I guess I’ll just use U+2014 for the m-dash. AutoCorrect has been unreliable in my computer.

Thanks, guys, for your time and patience! Your feedback has been valuable.

tdf#156121

2 Likes