Base error message in Base connection to data source not found

When creating a new database, after naming the file (in this instance, New Database Wed 2) and saving, I get this message.

The connection to the data source “New Database Wed 2” could not be established.

The driver class ‘org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver’ could not be loaded.The additional driver class path is ‘vnd.sun.star.expand:$LO_JAVA_DIR/hsqldb.jar vnd.sun.star.expand:$LO_JAVA_DIR/sdbc_hsqldb.jar’.

I have Java 12.0.1 installed and it is selected in Libre Office preferences.

Hello,

You have not included some primary information - OS & specific LO version. It does appear you may be on a Mac. If so, you must install Oracle JDK and NOT JRE.

Apologies. Yes, Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan. Libre Office 6.1.5.2. I have already installed Oracle JDK. I presume this is what is showing as Java 12.0.1. in LO preferences (Advanced).

@JE1
The confusing issue here is that you see and have a selected version in preferences.

One remote possibility may be the spaces within the name you are creating. You may want to try a name without spaces first.

The only other item I can offer is to install a different Java version. See answer in this post → Java 8 JRE not found on macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

Have seen in past some reported bug issues with MAC & Java when new versions were released. Unfortunately don’t have a MAC to test with.

Thanks for your help. I’ve tried removing the spaces and that doesn’t help. I’ve looked at installing an older version of Java but the company ‘strongly advises’ against doing this for security reasons. Looks like I’m stumped.

@JE1 You could file a report at → Bugzilla. This may get you further answers.

Also another possibility, but not all that clear on Mac - use a different database. Many databases do not require the use or installation of Java. Firebird (embedded is optional in Base), MySQL, PostgreSQL and more. Now you may not have certain other functions available such as Wizards or the Report Builder but the DB would work.

Thanks. Have just done that.