Bookmarking a page to open at same place next time file is opened

Is there a way to set Libre to open a document to the exact same page that you were on when you closed it ??

Shift+F5 should take you to the last cursor position regardless of user name entered.
Note that for some documents you might need to wait for entire document to load before Shift+F5 will take you to the cursor position.
For long documents around 500 pages or more there is an issue with the cursor position not being returned accurately, see tdf#140147

2 Likes

Yes, there is. Open Tools - Options Personal data and enter at least your first name and last name. I’m not sure if LibreOffice will remember the cursor position if you save in the docx format.

But the whole thing doesn’t work very accurately. I have a 482-page document. Last change on page 384 then save in odt. When I open the file again, I end up on page 407. Other attempts with similar results. Is this normal? My System Windows 10 LO 7.4.2.3

The feature to open a Writer document with the cursor on the “last position” before saving seems to not be stable. This may be related to the fact that there isn’t a clear concept about who is user, who author, and whether a file opened with a different active user propfile shall try to recall what last happened under this profile.

The subject of this thread, however, is talking of “bookmarking” and I never had or read about unstable bookmarks. You simply need to set the bookmark, and to go to it using the navigator. Done.

If you want automated support for bookmarking “the last position”, and you do not generally dismiss macros, you may adapt to your needs what I recently posted here: Apache OpenOffice Community Forum - Automatically setting bookmarks with strictly formatted names - (View topic) .
It contains a Sub for the setting of strictly formatted bookmarks named by default using the initials from the user profile, and a date-time-stamp. In addition there is a handler for onGoingToBeClosed which, properly installed, will set auitomatically a bookmark when the file gets closed - and the person last editing it didn’t care.