Bullet points are different shapes

I am not sure why bullet points are of different shapes? How do I make them look identical?
Picture below:
style: List 1

I don’t know why “styles” are different either, I received this document from a WPS-office user

(There is another picture but I can’t attach it)
Version: 24.2.2.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d56cc158d8a96260b836f100ef4b4ef25d6f1a01
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); UI: en-US
Flatpak
Calc: threaded

1 Like

Another picture, style is “Frame Content”:

A screenshot does not allow to analyse the formatting or the effective character used. Attach a file containing the corresponding sequence. Mention OS name, exact LO version and save format.

I am attaching here the simplified file
I am under Opensuse Tumbleweed, XFCE, LibreOffice is installed via Flatpack
Version: 24.2.2.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d56cc158d8a96260b836f100ef4b4ef25d6f1a01
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); UI: en-US
Flatpak
Calc: threaded
simplified.docx (22.1 KB)

Unfortunately, your document is .docx, an alien format which needs conversion when read and saved. You have tons of direct formatting in it (partly because of the required format conversions).

I could give you tricks to fix the issue but if you save as .docx, these Writer fixes will not survive the save.

List numbering (bullet is an aspect of this) is one of the areas where Word and Writer differ most.

Either you accept to save .odt and there is no longer any issue or you keep on saving .docx and you must accept the approximations of format conversion.

FYI: there seems to have an “italic” or other formatting superimposed the last list item. When I Ctrl+M on it, things improve.

I actually don’t care to switch to .odt, because what matters the final PDF exported, not the intermediate format.
So am taking any suggestions to uniformize the contents. I did try to save in .odt, now I see that bullets are uniform within a single unordered list, but they still differ between 2 lists. Font size is the same though. I have no idea what levers to pull to make them equal

The solution is to style your document and refrain as much as possible from direct formatting. You record in a style the typographical and “geometric” properties to be applied to a selection.

Styles come in five flavours:

• paragraph: the most widely known; confers a distinctive look to a paragraph (spacing on all four sides, first line indent, font face, size, weight, …)
  • character: frequently neglected because do not exist in Word; allows to “decorate” a word differently from the surrounding paragraph appearance (don’t use Ctrl+I for italic, rather apply Emphasis)
  • page: set page geometric properties and enables header/footer
  • list: badly names because impacts only the number/bullet in a list; applied over a paragraph style to turn it into a list item (don’t use Format>Bullets & Numbering because it does not clearly defines membership to an abstract list while a list style strictly means list membership)
  • frame: for side insertion (text or image); quite difficult to master; so, in the beginning, leave them aside

Name your styles to hint at paragraph, word, page, list significance. Don’t think at appearance, focus on meaning. This way, you control your text formatting with fine-grained details. For example, italics is used to mark emphasis or foreign word/trademark. If your style is called Italics, you can’t tune-format separately emphasis from foreign word. Use two different styles: built-in Emphasis and custom Foreign. If you decide that emphasis should be rendered in a different font face without italic, you simply change the style configuration and you’re done. Name Emphasis still hint at your intent. But if your style was named Italic and is now Roman red, how would you remember it is intended for emphasis.

This is called “semantic styling” and it is very powerful because it structures your text. But it works fully and satisfactoriky only if you don’t direct format. Direct-format has precedence over styles and hides their effect.

To answer your question about a uniform ordered list, associate a paragraph style, e.g. Numbering 1 with a list style, e.g. Numbering 123. For an unordered list, List 1 with list style Bullet ⋅

But beware of direct formatting! Remove it first. Note that list direct-formatting (with Format>Bullets & Numbering or toolbar buttons) can’t be deleted with Ctrl+M. It must be removed manually, but, even so, there are circumstances where some fossil remains there. It is better to start from scratch.

1 Like

I rewrote the whole file from scratch, and manually used “•” symbol for bullet points