This may be a bug. Upgraded to 5.3.5. Now when using page up/down keys or cursor movement arrows, the movement has an extremely annoying delay. It takes several seconds to scroll up or down a few hundred rows, whereas with previous versions it’s instantaneous on the keystroke. There’s a similar delay when inserting new rows, or pasting contents.
Here is a clue about what may be happening: The misspelled-word indicator (wavey red underline) gets refreshed while it’s delayed. After depressing the up/down key, the display scrolls up or down by one screen size, but then gets stuck and will not go any farther for a fraction of a second. During that time, you can see the wavey red lines being re-inserted in the cells progressively from top to bottom. It takes about 1 second for them to progress. Then when they’re all reinserted, the screen is able to scroll another page worth.
This does not happen on the previous versions of calc, and suggests maybe it’s doing something unnecessary, like perhaps re-calculating cells. That should not happen just for scrolling.
Here is a comparison of 3 of my computers, comparing where the problem happens, and where it works okay:
- LO: 18.104.22.168 Libreoffice_5.3.5_Win_x86.msi
- OS: Win 10 Pro 64b
- Mach: Gateway SX2370, (says 64b) AMD A6-3600 w Radion HD graphics
- LO: 22.214.171.124 LibreOffice_4.0.1_Win_x86.msi
- OS: Win 10 Pro 64b
- Mach: AMD A4-3300 CPU 64b w/ Radion HD graphics
- LO: 126.96.36.199 (Included with Distro) Build ID: 1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial2
- OS: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 32b (installed as Kubuntu, LXDE added later)
- Mach: Dell Optiplex 360 2-core (says 64b engine)
Considering that it works correctly on ver 4.0 on the other Win10 box with same graphics engine, I don’t think it’s a display problem.
Here are the things I’ve tried so far which do not solve the problem:
- Allow open CL (no help)
- Anti aliasing (no help)
- Expand Image Cache (no help)
- Expand memory per object (no help)
- Expand number of objects (no help)
- Use OpenGL for rendering (no help)
- Uncheck Java RE usage (no help)
- User Profile folder “4” was erased and new for this install (no help)
I think that the fact the install was a 32b version on a 64b machine, is not the explanation, because the other Win10 box has the 32b version of 4.0 and it still works.
Given that all these remedies do not solve the problem, I feel that this is very likely a bug. I think that the rippling refresh of the cell content is a clue about what may be happening (recalc or something similar happening on a scroll when it’s not needed). If you have an answer, I would appreciate it. Otherwise it may be a bug, and I would like it if this question could be transmitted to the folks who work on the development.