Can formatting be made to behave as though the cursor were never within a word?

From e.g. the “Italic” page at help.libreoffice.org:
“If the cursor is not inside a word, and no text is selected, then the font style is applied to the text that you type.”

This is the way I would like font styles to always behave (unless text is selected, in which case the existing behavior is fine).

The effect I want the option to remove, quoting from the same page, is:
“If the cursor is in a word, the entire word is made italic.”

Is there a setting I can change somewhere to set this behavior?

The behavior that you describe is ancient, it was already the default for Word 6 for Windows (the oldest version that I have worked with) back in the nineties. Some thought went into that decision, and I don’t know why you’d want it to be different. Just press Ctrl+Left or Ctrl+Right to get out of a word, then you can work in the way you like.

I don’t think so.

The feature has been offered as a convenience shortcut for the most frequent operation in proof-reading to avoid having to select a word.

When you type fresh text, your cursor is always at the end of a “word”, thus applying a character style or pushing a toolbar button has the behaviour you’re looking for. Of course, if you want to add characters in the middle of a word, you must wait for the end of typing, select the portion to “highlight” and apply the style. Not straightforward, but the only way.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.