Can't freeze top row

So this appears to have been a problem for years, I’m seeing threads from as far back as 2021, but the tips in them don’t seem to work anymore. I didn’t find any recent threads.
Needless to say, this is in Calc.

Tried:
Select Row 1, View>Freeze Cells>Freeze First Row
Select Row 1, View>Freeze Rows And Columns
Select Row 1, Right Click, Freeze Rows And Columns
Updated LibreOffice
Repaired LibreOffice
Restarted LibreOffice
Select Row 2, View>Freeze Cells>Freeze First Row
Select Row 2, View>Freeze Rows And Columns
No particular cell chosen, View>Freeze Cells>Freeze First Row

Are there any new tips or tricks to make it work?

… does exactly what it tells, ( freeze the first row ) , independent from which row is selected!

1 Like

This did not work

You’d think they learned reading by now … you select the first row/column/cell that must scroll.

1 Like

Thank you for your rude and sarcastic comment.
Your suggestion did not work.

freeze

ezgif-4-7d1773928e

Part 2, selecting the second row instead.
ezgif-4-b3d4294f10

What you show is completely different - you are talking about sorting, that you expect to not sort the rows that are frozen in view… And the freeze itself is working fine on your screencasts.
And your “heading” row has the same textual data as the rest of your array, so Calc can’t see that it’s heading. Freeze function is unrelated to sorting.
But of course, an enhancement request is welcome, to consider the frozen rows when sorting.

If I freeze a row, I expect it to remain frozen. That includes the text inside it.
Frozen rows should not swap places with other rows.
This seems like a pretty basic expectation, all other excel type programs I’ve used do this.

Shrug, would you also expect it to not allow you to edit it? Otherwise, why would it limit other ways to edit its content?
But as I wrote - enhancement requests are welcome.

Consider this an enhancement request, then, I guess.

I have some sheets with over 1000 rows. I need to be able to sort them quickly without having to scroll all the way to Row 1357.

LibreOffice as a whole has been a lifesaver for me and the people I work with. I can’t imagine ever going back to Microsoft Office, and Google Docs is no longer an option due to their implementation of AI. I want to love Calc as much as I love Writer and Draw.

No, this is not the place for them - as mentioned at the article I linked to.

Oh, I must already get used to the fact that I must check every statement, but I keep forgetting that…
freeze_sort_excel

freeze_sort_gnumeric

But Google Sheets does what you expect.

4 Likes

Nice :⁠-⁠)

1 Like

Behavior, sometimes undesirable

As you discovered and others commented, the immediate sort buttons make the choice on whether to assume headings or not, based on distinction between content types. Menu items Data - Sort ascending and Data - Sort descending behave the same as those buttons. The choice of which range to sort - if you didn’t preselect a range - is also automated, seemingly by identifying a contiguous range of non-empty cells.

Workaround

Menu item Data - Sort … provides a simple dialog where the initial assumptions are the same as the quicker options, but if you edit the options in that dialog, they are sticky for the selcted range. So if you sort a range “with headings” once, next time you sort the same range by this dialog, the headings option will remain selected (and also the sort column becomes sticky, not dependent on selected cell, so you must change it in the dialog if you want to sort on a different column).

Not quite as quick as the single button click, but I consider it fairly snappy, so maybe a workaround for you. No need to select the full range (cf. your comment on scrolling thousands of rows) as long as the data is more or less contiguous. (Autoselection of range will break on empty rows.)

1 Like