Change old 'curriculum' into a modern one?

Hi,

Long time, no see!

As you might I was busy with a book (2023). I quitted this book and I decided in january this year I’ll emigrate to Spain (I live in The Netherlands).
However, it’s very difficult to do this, because I’m disabled, I have a heart disease and I’m not the youngest anymore (59).
So, that’s I decided to re-write my curriculum vitae.

Curriculum 2023.docx (8.0 KB)
(OLD ONE!)

(NEW ONES!)

I want to change my old ‘curriculum’ which is oldfashioned and with Word into a modern version with Libre Office.

Maybe you can let me know how I do this? Thanks!

Unfortunately, your document is a DOCX. This means you can’t benefit from all the advanced features in Writer.

When an .odt is fully “semantically styled” with absolutely no direct formatting, changing the look is only a matter of adjusting paragraph, character and page styles. In addition, if the styles come from a linked template, changing the template (either adjusting its styles or replacing the template provided the styles have the same names) is all you have to do.

DOCX has no notion of character or page styles. The equivalent formatting is done by direct formatting.

All this ends up with no other solution than to rework your curriculum manually.

1 Like

Ok, many thanks!

What about those 2 .pdf documents?

Curriculum 1.pdf (367.9 KB)
Curriculum 2.pdf (329.7 KB)

(If not, could you let me know wher to start? Thanks!)
(But I can copy and paste the text?)

There are some templates on the extensions site. I have not tried any of these and they may or may not work well but they might help with some layout ideas. I did a search on “curric”, possibly “cv” would find some others, Extensions » Extensions

1 Like

Ok, many thanks!

I’ve downloaded a template.

Do I only have to fill in this document?

I’ve to send this.odt file to Windows computers. Do I’ve to export this document into a .pdf file?

Do the recipients need to edit it? If not, or they shouldn’t be editing it, then it is best as a pdf because fonts are embedded and the text and layout are fixed.

Office 365 claims to support Open Document format 1.3 (.odt) if you want to send it as that.

There is also the possibility to export as Hybrid pdf which opens in a pdf viewer as normal but also contains the LibreOffice document embedded in the pdf, so it can be opened from within LibreOffice.

Thanks very much!

The recipients shouldn’t be editing it!

So, what’s the best I should do? (Hybrid .pdf?)

Plain old vanilla pdf. So just don’t select hybrid but do keep a copy of the Writer document as your master copy to edit for later updates

Sorry, that’s too dificult for me! Please, can you explain it easier to me? (save as .pdf?), 2 documents? 1 > copy?

1. Save the Writer document.
  2. Export the CV as pdf. Email to potential employers
  3. Next year update the writer document with anything important that you’ve done in the last year.

Ok, many thanks!

(Export as pdf when totally finished the Writer document?)

I’m now filling in a template for my review.
Do I’ve to save this document as .odt or as .ott?

because .ott is the file extension for text document templates.

I took one of these templates: Template

Aren’t those a text document template?

Some are .ott (real templates); others are .odt (ordinary documents; you must case to File>Save as to avoid overwriting them).

When you open a template (.ott), no matter the method, Writer automatically creates an Untitled.odt. Thus, even if you File>Save, the template is not overwritten.

1 Like

Ok, thanks!

However, I don’t understand.

Can I use Ctrl + s?

You can always use Ctrl+S. It is a strict equivalent to File>Save. And Ctrl+Shift+S is equivalent to File>Save as.

Menu commands and keyboard shortcuts end with the same result. Just choose the one fitting your need.

How do I know the template is an .odt or .ott document?