Chapter name in footer only shows up on the first page

I am just learning Libre and am creating a booklet. Chapter name shows up fine one the first chapter right and left of first page but not on second page or subsequent chapters.
At the beginning of the document is a title page, a table of contents then the first chapter. The beginning pages do not have a chapter name but there are non in the document. This is perfect.
Chapter name is defined as Heading 1. The footer has the page number and the chapter name.
The next page is the same chapter but the chapter name only appears in the text once. And on this page, does not appear in the footer.
The next page has a new chapter name - again heading 1 but no chapter name is showing up on this page or any subsequent pages.
All chapter names are heading 1 and are showing up just fine in the table of contents.
I know I must be doing something wrong but can’t figure it out. Please advise.

I added more chapters and the problem appears to be one page only
Teresa Recipe.odt

I apologize for not knowing how to use this forum. I am sincerely sorry that the way I added the information offended you. Please forgive me.

Do you use a special page style First Page for your first chapter and first page?

Please upload your ODF type sample file hare. We can quessing only without seeing the structure of the page styles what you use in the document.

Seems to be due to empty Heading paragraphs (and some of 'em seem strange showing Body Text style but added in Heading category in Navigator). Check with Navigator View -> Navigator or F5. I’d strongly recommend to avoid any empty paragraph.

@dmrauch: no offense; it’s just this isn’t a forum (thread/conversation oriented) but a question & answer site (one question, several possible solutions). The difference with a forum is answers are sorted by the engine in order of “relevance” (criteria internal to the engine!). They are not kept in chronological order, thus making it difficult to follow a “thread”.

Waiting for the answer to @anon73440385’s question to fix the problem of page 2+.

To reset the chapter name in the footer, you must ensure that the page sequence restarts correctly when you have first page, left and right page differences. This can only be done if your Heading 1 has correct Text Flow parameters.

Modify Text Flow tab in Heading 1 style definition. In the Breaks section, check Insert to enable page break before. Check also With page style to be able to choose the page style from the menu. Select the same page style as the one enabled in your first chapter. This setting will automatically be effective whenever a Heading 1 paragraph is met, so that you don’t need to add manually the page break.

The With page style is important when you enabled different contents for header/footer on first, left and right pages in the page style. Otherwise, it does not matter.

EDIT You are the culprit!

Like all beginners, you vertically space your document with empty paragraphs. Usually, this is not important. But in your case, some “spacers” are styled Heading 1 as shown in the Navigator. Since these paragraphs are empty, they create a chapter with an empty heading (title).

The last paragraph in the “Tequila” page is such a faulty Heading 1. Consequently, the footer uses this most recently seen Heading 1 and uses its heading: it is there as an empty string. The same in the “Mezcal” page, again in the “Menus” page and after the alphabetical index. There are also two such fake Heading 1 after the TOC and the “alphabetical list”.

Apparently your document is made of several parts:

• a cover page
  • TOC and “alphabetical list”
  • the “chapters”
  • alphabetical index

Each part should be formatted with a specific page style instead of trying to fit everything under the same Default Style page style. In particular, the chapter page style could request 2-column layout instead of using artificially a section.

You switch from one page style to another with a special page break Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break.

Don’t vertically space with empty paragraphs. Vertical space is a property of some paragraph style. E.g. Heading 1 and Heading 2 have their own systematic spacings above and below.

The list of ingredients should be styled Text Body instead of Default Style (this latter is only intended to set defaults inherited by all other styles). The instruction paragraph (“Shake Stir Mix …”) should have its own style with chosen tab stops instead of relying on the evenly spaced ones (where you sometimes use 2 tabs to compensate for unwanted positions). This “instruction” paragraph can also have its own vertical spacing to separate it from others.

Inside this “instruction” paragraph, use character styles to emphasise words instead of Ctrl+B. Strong Emphasis is a good substitute. And you can change all emphasis at once simply by modifying this style.

Never use empty paragraphs. They are a sign that your document is vulnerable to changes in font sizes, para indents or page margins. In your 2-column part, Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break for a column break. It will always work.

Your document should have no empty paragraphs (except those to which you anchor pictures or tables – and even this case can be avoided).

A note about your “alphabetical list”: you can have only one alphabetical index, this is a Writer limitation. When your created this “index”, you requested to collect all Heading 2. But they will appear in document order because this not the “internal” Alphabetical Index.

To learn how to use Writer, download and read the Writer Guide.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.