Comment sidebar is extremely narrow

As it says in the title. I was using a different version earlier but I recently upgraded to version 24.2.2.2 to see if that would fix the issue; no dice. I can barely type three words into a comment before it breaks to a new line, and the only possible fix I can think of is making the comment font teensy tiny. Meanwhile, at 100% zoom there’s still plenty of white space being unused to either side of my document.

I checked the forum archive and it seems this issue is occasionally brought up but never addressed or fixed.Has someone managed to figure it out?

example.odt (9.4 KB)

Please upload a screenshot image and an ODF type sample file here.

Cross posted on Reddit.

If you cross post, as a courtesy please let us know that you have done so, otherwise it leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.

I’ve edited my original post to include a screenshot and ODF sample file to highlight what’s going on.

Here is a view of your sample file opened in my LO 24.2.2 portable version on Windows 10:

Similar questions:

And a bug report:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97341

Actually that is marked duplicate of
Bug 73953 - UI Writer, enhancement request: Allow adjustment of comment bar width

Resolved for 24.8

Just to be clear (for anyone who might see this thread in the future): There currently is no fix for the problem, there’s nothing wrong with the files themselves, and the linked relevant comments offer no workable solutions (but prove this has been an issue for years).

Fortunately a future release of LibreOffice (24.8) should include a feature allowing users to adjust the width of the comment pane, which might be a workaround.

Note that tdf#73953 had two changes: commit ac2720dc to allow resizing, and commit cf9d8631 to increase the default width. Feels like a proper fix, not a workaround.

1 Like