Conditional formatting- change cell's background colour when ANOTHER cell equal to

Hey guys.

So I am currently using conditional formatting on a basic spreadsheet to make the cell’s background colour change when the word “yes” is shown as per the attached document:
Conditional formatting example.ods

However, I would like the background of the adjacent goal to also turn green when “yes” is present in cell J2.

I am not sure how to make this happen, perhaps something along the lines of select cell A2 > format > conditional formatting > condition > (note, the next two options don’t exist) other cell value is > specify cell(s) > apply style "Change cell background to green (3)

Since, as previously mentioned, the options "other cell value is > specify cell(s) don’t exist, I need some help coming up with an alternative!

Thanks.

It is possible that I misunderstood your problem. This method works for me

Example - Conditional formatting example.ods

Conditional formatting YES

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one! Am very grateful for that! Thanks.

Just a wee question; why is the dollar sign necessary in the formula $J2=“yes” ?

Because checking the condition for cell A2, Calc will look whether there is a word “yes” in cell J2. And checking the condition for cell B2, C2 … J2, he would look for the word “yes” in the offset addresses - K2, L2, etc.The dollar sign says to him: “Do not shift, look only at column J”

Understood, thank you! You have solved many of the long-term issues I have had; awesome!