Converting a spreadsheet to writer doc

Hi all

I’ve been trying for days to find an answer to this and I just cant.

I’ve been using the calc spreadsheet to basically number rows and the insert a picture to stretch to cover the rows, 1 pic can cover upto 500 columns (long story but i’m a crafter and this is a project I’m working on)

I then need to save this to libre office writer so I can send a PDF copy to a friend. Saving as a PDF is fine, but when I open the PDF the image is off the page (I’m useless at explaining so i’ll attach some pics of what I get vs what I actually need) I’ve tried everything, exporting as a PDF, using Soda PDF and DOPDF. All my settings are correct and set as A4 and fit to page etc, I just don’t know what else to try.

I hope this makes some sort of sense and I hope someone can put me out of my misery and help.

Many thanks
HELP.odg (321.6 KB)

I wonder if you are using the right tool for the job you want to do? I am guessing it is for something that needs an image divided up into small single colour squares.

A quick internet search foe open source graphics stitch pattern from photo brings up Cstitch, Cstitch: a free and open source program for creating cross stitch patterns from images , which might be what you actually need. Cheers, Al

If you want to continue down your current line of thinking, have you considered something like this:

1. Create a spreadsheet in LO Calc with the quilt-cutting-mat-like grid. Use numbers and borders to build it up, sort of like making your own graph paper.
  2. Import that into LO Draw and see if you can size it, etc., without pictures. Now, use Arrange>To Background for the grid, and place your pictures in Draw directly.

If using @joshua4 suggestion, I don’t think it is necessary to use a Calc grid at all. The Duplicate command in Draw can make a grid with minimal effort. You can make a page 6m x 6m so plenty of space; the below example uses a standard A4 size.

After you have placed your image on the Layout layer (and locked it, right-click Layout and select Modify layer and tick box Locked ).

Right click on tab at bottom again and select Insert layer and name it Grid. Draw a Vertical Line (Hold down Shift to constrain it) to the left of the image extending above and below the image.
With it selected, click Shape > Duplicate, enter a suitable spacing for each grid line, say 0.25 cm, and enough duplications to cover the image, say 64 and OK

You will now have a series of vertical lines. Draw a horizontal line along the top of the vertical lines from start to finish, holding down Shift again. Click Shape > Duplicate, enter the same spacing for each grid line in the y-axis, 0.25 cm, and calculate sufficient to cover the picture, say 40, and OK. Draw a selection rectangle around the lines and click Shape > Group > Group so you can move it without it falling apart.
Grid-2_76042

2 Likes