Create a SlideShow in LibreOffice Database

I would like to create a slideshow in my movie database using all the photos stored in the folder named Cartazes, with the Play, Pause and Stop buttons. I believe this can be done with LibreOffice Base and I would like to know how. Can you help me?

FotoShow.odb
Cartazes
Please create the folder “Cartazes” and move all the photos into it, to see them in the database.

There is no function in Base to switch through images and show this images automatically. You could start an app on you system to show the first of the images. Depending on your system this app will be able to show the content of the whole folder.

Why? Which part of Base gives this impression?

You will need a macro. But first: What is your idea?

• A form in Base wich shows one picture and has buttons for next, prev. So the macro will essentially go to the next row of data after a certain time.
  • LibreOffice has Impress, so a Macro could create an Impress file…
  • Create a html-file wich can be shown in your browser
  • Call an external program via command-line to show all files in your folder.

Do you need Base?
Open Impress, in the menu click Insert > Media > Photo Album. Click the Add button, navigate to the folder and select the images you want, or all the images in a folder (Ctrl+A), and click Open.
Choose if you want a Caption and how the images are displayed then click Insert Slides

Create a report.
Save the report as PDF.
View the PDF with a PDF viewer in slide show mode.
EDIT: Convert the PDF to PowerPoint.

1 Like

Well, as one can see, this LO form already allows me to see the photos one by one, by pressing the buttons: First, Previous, Next and Last. So, if I need a photo SlideShow I only have to press the button Next at my only speed. It’s easy! But, as I have more than a thousand photos in the folder I thought it would be great to have a “Screen Digital Frame” to run them automatically, with variable speed. It was just a dream, I see!

I had this impression that in LOB if you think of something than it is possible to do it with a macro… and I’m not very good at it, so I asked for help.
Thank you for your time, Wanderer.

That’s not what I’m looking for, Villeroy, but thank you for your time.

I’m sorry to hear that, RobertG, but thank you for your time.

Well, EarnestAI, that gives me the heavy idea that I have to insert thousand of photos manually in the Impress file and then try to make a macro in LOB to open it? No gain, no pain! Thank you for your time.

Oh, I’m sorry, I see now that I can insert all the files at once. That makes it easier. Thanks.

You can use with Impress:
Menu>Insert>Media>Photo album

MarioSV, thanks for your opinion. EarnestAI thinks the same way, but all I wanted is a macro to do it inside LO Base, which apparently is impossible. Thanks anyway.

But damn close.

Then go ahead and write your macro.

@Quaresma : Might be this will work for you:
Diashow.zip.ott (595.3 KB)
You have to remove .ott. At this moment *.zip isn’t allowed here…
Extraxt the file, open the database, open the form and press button “Auto”. Pictures of the choosen “Bereich” will be shown automatically changing all 3 seconds. 3 seconds is set in macro (WAIT 3000). Press the button again and it will stop showing the pictures automatically.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, Robert G. It’s always a pleasure to learn from the best. Best regards.

WIthout office suite: How To Create a Slideshow

Maybe the macros in this file can help you.
Images.odb (19.4 KB)

Dear Gbp,

I was hoping that this macro would solve the problem, and it probably will but unfortunately I was unsuccessful in my attempts to indicate the name of the folder where the images are.

As I mentioned before, although I really like macros, I am not yet very familiar with them. There must be something missing that I haven’t yet figured out.

Thank you for your help.

How to program anything on your own?

Villeroy, people come to this site looking for help with their problems because they think they can count on the support of knowledgeable and experienced people, which is definitely not your case. If you can’t help me, that’s fine. I’ve tried and failed too. But it would never occur to me to replace a macro with a Report saved as a PDF as you suggested above. If you can’t help or don’t want to help, that’s fine, but you’re definitely in the wrong place and your comments should not count as attempts to help someone.