Deleting Multiple Columns all at once

I know this has been asked many times, I have tried some of the suggestions to no avail. I have two questions:

1. How do I remove all columns to the right of a specified column? Why does the standard sheet have 10000 of them? Ridiculous to go on and on highlighting over 100 empty columns

2. How do I create my own spreadsheet with a set number of columns and rows so I do not have to deal with the above?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

You cannot delete them; a spreadsheet (in any application) always has its maximum number of rows and columns available.

You can, however, hide them.

Would that suit your needs?

1 Like

Merry Christmas and Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I know how to hide them. How would I create a sheet with say 25 columns and 200 rows as a template, then I could add rows and columns as needed.

This is just beyond my understanding. I want to be able to quickly look at data, to have to scroll outside of my window or infinately is just frustrating.

Is there a way to create a sheet from nothing … and inserting the number of columns and rows like creating a table? I need this for accounting and am importing csv spreadsheets that are no larger than 25 or 30 columns and no more than 375 rows, possibly 475 rows. The rest, for me, is really distracting.

PS I tried hiding, I tried defining print area etc, I just want a smaller sheet is what it comes down to.

Why does it even matter whether there are empty columns/rows right of / beneath your data?

Can’t help with limited understanding, but for data access yo may use the keyboard, if you have one: Ctrl+Pos1 to go to first Cell, Ctrl+End for last (used) cell. No need to scroll in empty cells, if you don’t like it.

Sure: Kernighan/Ritchie - The C programming language.
A lot of projects started this way…

Because this makes shortcuts like Ctrl+Rightarrow and Ctrl+End useless.

I want to set up the range of my data so that it’s self-contained and pressing Ctrl+End does not send me to the absolute end limits.

Not true. If on a cell with data, Ctrl+Right jumps to the rightmost cell with data in the same row, and Ctrl+End to the bottom right of the data range.

I suggested this because I’m using this often and this keys are - with my files - limited to the actual data I have in my tables.
Check if there is something “invisible” in the last row/column of your sheet.
On some of my sheets I have to scroll, if I pre-filled a formula in some cells. But this is also limited to the area I filled myself.
If your system behaves not like this, you may

• upload a file here, so we can check, if we find something at “distant” rows/columns
  • Try safe mode, if something in your profile may provoke other behaviour.
  • Tell more of your Version of LO/OS. If you are not the only person with this configuration, somebody may find a cause for your unusual situation.

Take this example: https://i.imgur.com/Mp7vnNd.png

In Google Sheets, you can easily go to the end with one Ctrl+End. In Libreoffice you can’t.

… press End.

See Shortcut Keys for Spreadsheets.

Look at the example I gave you. Pressing End will only get you to the end if there is text. Won’t work if cells are empty.

Just look how useless Ctrl+Rightarrow is. It sends you to Column AMJ. On Google Sheets, it sends you directly to Column H which is far more relevant for user.

The idea of this whole suggestion is to have self-contained spreadsheet with boundaries. Just give the user the freedom of choosing the dimensions he wants.

You’re right. Ctrl+End sends you to the last boundary of text, but Ctrl+Rightarrow sends to the absolute limit. Thanks, that helps, but still I’d be happy for Libreoffice to implement this feature.

It’s already implemented in Google Docs and other programs like sc-im. There’s just no need to have infinite canvas.

…in whichever column. So, it works with a spreadsheet like the one you shared a screenshot of.

Just the help’s description is wrong,
End : Moves the cursor to the last cell that contains values in the current row.
should be
Moves the cursor to the last column that contains values.
or some such…

1 Like

Shall this nonsense (however that actually works) count for an advantage of googlesheets? Funny.

Related:

Isn’t the relevant question whether things are consistent or not?
They are not in Calc.
Ctrl+Right goes to the the last cell right of the starting position containing a number or a text or a formula (“something”).
This matches the behavior with Ctrl+Down.
Ctrl+End goes to the intersection of the last column containing something with the last row doing so.
Consistent? No. Now also cells with a hard attributes are accepted as “containing something”. Cells having assigned a named cell style are not.What about Ctrl+Pos1?

1 Like