Does LibreOffice alter xls files such that Excel 2004 must be force-quit?

Version: 7.1.5.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 85f04e9f809797b8199d13c421bd8a2b025d52b5
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 10.14.6; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

I have used the LibreOffice spreadsheet function, successfully, to modify some years-old Excel 2004 xls files, on my Mac (Mojave).
I occasionally open my xls files in a virtualbox instance under Snow Leopard, and/or in an older iMac also with Snow Leopard.
Up until now, this has all always worked in all of these environments.

But, now in those 10.6.8 environments, when I try to operate further on those xls files (that I had recently modified with LibreOffice), Excel locks up requiring a force-quit. If I restart Excel in SL, the files reopen, and the app freezes again. It’s not a full freeze, sometimes I have been able to save the file to desktop with a new name. But little confidence in the result!
Also I note that the sheets open in a smaller than ordinary size, tucked up at the upper left corner of the window.
This is quite frustrating, as LibreOffice is decidely not smooth at modifying complex charts so I prefer going to the vintage invironment for tweaks.
Is there a way to “clean up” whatever is happening to the files that causes this behavior, or some setting that I am missing? I’ve been using Excel on Mac since 1984, and never before encountered this kind of behavior.
Help?

When it opens as a restored window(small), place your mouse cursor to the corners of the Calc window (usually top left of screen) and drag to the ends of the screen to show Calc in full or at least enlarged screen.

When saving the file ensure you save it as an ODF Spreadsheet (.ods) by clicking on File -> Save As and changing the file type in the dialogue at the bottom right of the screen or if you prefer to save as an Excel file for compatibility reasons, select a suitable option from the drop down list.

1 Like

The point is, this unexpected location is not where the sheets were when closed.
As to saving as ODF – please note my issue with graphs, thus desire for compatibility with Excel 2004.

It could be a compatibility problem between ODS and XLS.

Basically:

Recommendation for clean working with LibreOffice when different Office programs are used.
Always create and save your files in LibreOffice and save them in ODF format (ODT, ODS, etc.).
Always keep these files as their source.
If you need other formats for distribution to partners, you can open an ODF file and save and distribute another format with ″ Save as… ″.
This way, you always have working files available in your system environment.

See:

Edit different file formats in LibreOffice

'-------------------------

Please report the behavior as a bug in Bugzilla .

See also:

How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice Please announce the link from the bug here.
To do this, edit your initial question. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you. Apparently there IS a lack of backward compatibility to Excel 2004 for xls saved by LibreOffice.
I will file as probable bug.
Now to figure out how to rescue/recover my files.