Edit envelope template

I love the “Add an envelope” option, but I’m having real difficulties with editing its template.

I’m using DL envelope. I want to change the font, size, positioning of objects. But when I edit my regular template and do “Add an envelope”, there is no way for me to remove the envelope, and when I save the template, there is always an envelope at the top that I can’t delete.

Is there a simpler way to edit the default settings of an envelope please ?

The envelope that can be inserted above a document is in principle nothing more than a page in envelope format.
At least, all the different pages have page format styles assigned to them.
When the cursor is on top of the envelope (not sender or address), the page format style “Envelope” is displayed.

In this page format style “Envelope” you can make your changes and remember to save the whole thing again as a document template.

The positioning of the fields is done automatically when selecting an envelope format.
For example, you can create several document templates, the same in terms of the document, but with different envelope formats.
The use of the menu Insert>Envelope sets in motion, I suppose, a macro that performs the execution of the format size and the field positioning.
If you still want to change the automatically inserted fields, right-click on a field.
In the context menu that opens, select “Properties”.

In the “Frame” dialog you can change them in the “Position and Size” tab.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. So is there any other way to edit the default positioning of fields that show up when I insert an envelope to the document ?

Please see my edited answer above.

Thanks for the edit. I believe this allows me to edit the fields once the envelope is added, but not their default settings, right ?

If you change the envelope manually, it cannot be the default setting.
Here, I understand manual to mean all deviating processes that are not generated by the automatic insertion.
Whatever you mean by default setting.

Unfortunately I was looking for a way not to have to edit the fields every time I want to set an envelope.

The problem is : I have to move the sender/recipient field, otherwise my printer crops its borders. So I want to set their default position, so that I don’t have to do this every time I print an envelope

Unfortunately I was looking for a way not to have to edit the fields every time I want to set an envelope.
The problem is : I have to move the sender/recipient field, otherwise my printer crops its borders. So I want to set their default position, so that I don’t have to do this every time I print an envelope

Yes, and once you have made the changes, you need to save the document as a document template.

Document Templates in Writer

Document templates Letter template in Writer

English documentation

Hence the problem I pointed in my first message : when I add an envelope, there is no way to delete it, and I end up with my default document shaped like an envelope when I open a new window.

It will be because I don’t understand your problem.
With me:

• I open a blank document (without an envelope).
  • I insert an envelope.
  • I change the envelope.
  • I save the document with the envelope as a template.
  • I open the new document template via File>New.
  • I have a blank page and a modified envelope on top of it.
  • Done.

If this does not help you, please upload your modified document here.

One more question: In which file format do you save?

We need to know your operating system and the LibreOffice version (four-digit, e.g. 7.3.2.2).

With me:
Version: 7.4.3.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 1048a8393ae2eeec98dff31b5c133c5f1d08b890
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL

Yeah but I don’t always want an envelope at the top of my blank pages, and it’s impossible to remove envelopes once they’re added, unless opening a new document.

Ubuntu 22.04.1, LibreOffice 7.4.3.2 (Prerelease PPA)

(thank you so much for trying to help nonetheless)

You can place the cursor in the upper left corner of the envelope.
Then double-click on the “Default” page template.
This will turn the envelope into a normal page.
Select the fields and press Delete.
Done.

Annotation:
Basically you cannot delete pages (in this case also envelope) at the beginning.
Pages fill up with text or page breaks downwards.
If you remove text or page breaks, only the pages at the end will be reduced (depending on the continuous text).

Thanks a lot, I’ll give it a shot, but isn’t there a risk in deleting the fields on the template file, that they won’t show up at all in regular documents ?

The answer is NO.

And as already mentioned, the fields are specifically called “Frames”.
Frames can be inserted and customized in Writer at any time using the Insert>Frame>Frame... menu.

Frame in Writer

1 Like

I’ll definitely give it a shot, thank you so much for your time !!

1 Like

Unfortunately, it didn’t work. I could set the default font size/alignment (within “Paragraph style”), but I couldn’t make the frames set at a certain place.

It seems to me I’m back to square one : there is no way to completely edit the envelope template.

You can save your blank document with the envelope and upload it here for someone to look at and examine.
Specify the dimensions that should be changed.

To do this, click on the three dots or the pencil or the edit icon under the initial question.
What is available.
In the edit mode of the question select the “Upload” icon.
Select your file and click the “Upload” button.
Thank you very much.

Create a template with envelope and another one without.

Absolutely not what I’m looking for, that’s not an option.

Next try: Create a template without envelope but with a prepared page style for the right envelope and an auto-text entry for the envelope content.