Envelope printing in MacOSX

whatever I try with page style, it does not seem possible to to format a horizontal C5 Paper size in libreOffice, that coreesponds to a C5 envelope which I can put vertiacally into the printer’s paper feed: LibreOffice is not very conform with MacOS paper management it seems. In Apple’s pages app, I can configure an enfelope displaying horizontally on my screen but printing vertically on paper easily.

The Writer guide for Mac has a section on Printing Envelopes starting page 152, download from https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/

thank you, I am experimenting with that. The problem is: Position of paper in printer settings do not carry over. Say, I want to put a C5 envelope vertically into the printer, the printer will behave as if the paper was positioned horizontally in the tray. Sadly horizontal position of paper wont work as it causes paper jam.

Sometimes the printer driver will do stuff automatically like turning envelopes around.

If I insert a DL envelope (currently loaded) and leave the Envelope Orientation at its default setting then for me the envelope will print correctly even though the default is not the way the envelope is oriented in the printer. My printer, Brother MFC-J6945DW, has the envelopes fed vertically and centred but this default orientation works for me

I am using Windows, not Mac, but in this case it is the printer driver re-interpreting the instructions and overriding what is sent from LibreOffice. It is also the reason that I cannot use brochure printing from LibreOffice but have to set Brochure printing in the printer driver otherwise it will rotate the page a second time.

I agree with the suspect of LO trying to override systemwide page/paper settings. In MacOS page and paper stuff is nicely integrated with the print command and LO’s approach looks a bit weird.

Hmm. The thing is my HP printer does precisely what I put into LibreOffice print dialogue, unlike the Brother.

I’m pretty sure it is the vagaries of the print drivers, not LibreOffice.

I have an epson 8550 with epson driver and with printfab driver

In this case there is something slightly odd in LibreOffice Insert Envelope wizard.

If you create a new document and then set the Page Style to a different size (Format > Page Style > Page > Paper Format) then the you will notice that the Width is always the shorter dimension. A DL envelope has Width of 11 cm and Height of 22 cm so you have to set it Landscape to appear normally, the same for C5.

If you click Insert > Envelope the proposed envelope size has the width set greater than the the height so rotation is not needed, in fact would be wrong. It might be here that the printer driver has problems by rotating the envelope.

I presume the attached C5 envelope template created in Page Style would work OK
EnvelopeC5.ott (10.0 KB)

Another general comment : the printing code in LibreOffice is one of the least touched areas of the project, and wasn’t written with macOS in mind. To my knowledge it hasn’t had any major updates recently to take account of any macOS specific changes to the printing subsystem. Although this subsystem relies on cups and ppds, the fact is that even Apple doesn’t provide all drivers for all printers, nor does it keep the ppds up to date, relying on the vendors to do so.

As an example, the ppd for our networked HP mfp printer is no longer available for update from HP for macOS Arm despite it only being 5 years old, so we are reliant on using a ppd from a neighbouring model for whatever functionality we can get.

Unfortunately, envelope printing in LO has been broken for years in one way or another, depending on envelope size, OS version, version of LO, etc. We have a similar problem at work, and the only solution we found was trial and error, i.e. fiddling with the physical orientation of the envelope in the printers, which bore little relation to the LO UI selection.

also quite strange to me that envelope documents cant be saved as templates.

I have several envelope-only templates laid out for specific organisations. Just set the page size to an envelope size, add sender address and logo, etc then in addressed frame add database fields for registered database

that is what I would like to do, but can’t resolve yet the problem of showing that envelope in ladscape on the screen but having the envelope run in portrait position through the printer.

The problem is often printer specific, which doesn’t help. At work, we have a network Kyocera laser and a HP. From memory, the HP one is the fiddliest.

Once you do manage to get it to print reliably, you can then set up envelope templates as someone else has commented.

agreed, then again: In macOSX’s own pages app, I can choose in the print dialog whether my paper will run vertically or horizontally trough the printer. In LibreOffice I see such a setting only in the print envelope dialog and it does not seem to do anything.

Does the sample odt I posted work correctly?

no, it did not: https://wolkenmeer.com/index.php/s/pDTfcr9qE9Tdy98 I would need to put the Envelope horizontally into my printer which causes paper jam. I do not see a way enable a vertical paper path yet.

That is extremely peculiar, it is just a page rotated to Landscape. How about if, in the LO Print dialogue, you set Orientation to Landscape instead of Automatic?

Can you print anything in Landscape?

BTW your link is 404 File not found