Error saving the document 7WR018 Holocaust 01: Object not accessible. The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights

Both LO Writer and Calc have stopped saving documents and come up with these error messages:

1. Error saving the document 7WR018 Holocaust 01: Object not accessible. The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights.
  2. Error saving the document 7WR018 Holocaust 01: C:\Users\koshk\AppData\Local\Temp\lu7508fd89.tmp\lu7508fd8k.tmp does not exist.
  3. Error saving the document 7WR018 Holocaust 01: Access to C:\Users\koshk\Dropbox\Military Research#Wolverhampton SWW MA\Essays\3. Holocaust\HGWDavie 1909 913- 7WR018 Holocaust 01.odt was denied.

I have reinstalled a more stable version of Libre Office and they both have the same error. Versions 7.0.6 and 7.1.2

I am using a custom template but have been using the same for years with no problems. My version of Libre Office is used with only one extention and that is for the Zotero citation manager.

Machine is Windows 10 Home OS run on a Surface 3 laptop with Kaspersky AV.

I have tried saving the file to both Documents (which works for the first time but not on subsequent occassions) and to the folder within DropBox (which never works).

I have tried resetting the user profile however using Writer in Save Mode does not solve the problem.

Both LO Writer and Calc have stopped saving documents and come up

… or Windows/AV program started to deny access to certain files/directories to non-MS apps.

I have tried saving the file to both Documents (which works for the first time but not on subsequent occassions)

It looks like a third party (Kapersky) blocking access to folders rather than Windows Defender which blocks first access attempt and anyway, would have been switched off automatically when Kapersky was installed.

You will need to look through the instructions in Kapersky to add soffice.bin (LibreOffice) to a whitelist/trusted list/allowed list or similar.

I dislike video tutorials but it is hard to find relevant instructions for Kapersky, so maybe this still applies.

Yes this works, I have been testing it over the last few days and with the AV turned off, Libre Office saves as normal.

You need to keep your anti-virus protecting your computer so don’t turn it off. Just add soffice.bin as a trusted application, or possibly the whole LibreOffice folder in Program Files.

I have finally found some spartan instructions on how to specify trusted applications in Kapersky. It looks as though they got bored halfway through the instructions and just didn’t bother completing them, so it will be a bit of guesswork.

1 Like

I tried adding the soffice.bin file to the Kaspersky white list as shown this did not work and then I tried the soffice.exe file and this did not work.

Don’t type in soffice.bin, there should be a button to navigate to the file, click that. A dialog box to navigate to the app you want to add will appear. We need to add soffice.bin which won’t appear as an app, so assuming you have a standard 64 bit install the path is C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.bin, otherwise navigate to the folder and start writing in soffice.bin and the file should appear as a choice. Click on it, then click Open.

Followed your instructions to the letter and I now seem to be able to save a brand new document both to the PC and to DropBox folder.

It will not allow me to open any of the previous documents and comes up with the permissions problem as before. I can live without them
It will allow me to load a template I created at an earlier time and I can save this as a new document in Documents but it bloacks me from saving it in a DropBox folder, even a new one I created for the purpose, coming up with the same permissions problem.

It always comes up saying

1. Error saving the document Wolverhampton essay template:
    C:\Users\koshk\AppData\Local\Temp\lu9100as0vbx.tmp\lu9100as0vca.tmp does not exist
  2. Error saving the document Wolverhampton essay template:
    Access to C:\Users\koshk\Dropbox\Military Research#Wolverhampton SWW MA\Essays\4. Axis and Allies\Wolverhampton essay template.odt was denied.
  3. Error saving the document Wolverhampton essay template: Object not accessible.

It does this even with the AV turned off.
This effectively bars me from using any of last years university course documents

This is beginning to look like a Kapersky problem, although a small possibility of Windows permissions problem resulting from a wonky Windows update.

I have not had experience with Kapersky since about 2005 so I am not well placed to help with these additional obstacles. You might like to repeat your question on the relevant Kapersky forum, there seem to a lot of different Kapersky poducts so you have to choose the forum relating to your installation.

The problem is getting worse and is now spreading to other machines naking Libre Office unusable.

I just do not see that it can be a Kaspersky problem. When the AV is switched off, the problem still happens.
The only place that I can save documents is to My Documents, if I save into the DropBox folder the error happens. If it was AV causing the problems, it would a) it would work when AV was switched off b) the problem would still happen when saving to my documents.

I am afraid that I do not know anything about User Permissions so reallt at a loss here.

Hmm

"a) it would work when AV was switched off b) the problem would still happen when saving to my documents."

a) I think Kapersky works in a similar way to AVG, access is denied even if Kapersky is switched off. I suspect it alters permissions in Windows itself.

b) You have given LibreOffice permission to save files, some other programs will have permissions built-in, in a new install of Kapersky.

Kapersky might consider Dropbox an insecure location, that could be another setting, or Dropbox is an application that might need permissions. I don’t have access to Kapersky Help.

You should ask the question on the relevant Kapersky forum or ask Kapersky directly. There are a lot of different Kapersky poducts so you have to choose the forum relating to your installation.

Posted problem over at Kaspersky Total Security Forum and am seeking an answer there which I will re-post here if and when I get a solution.

OK posted the problem over at Kaspersky forum and got nowhere so posted the problem over at Kaspersky Support and they did not manage to find out what it was either.

So now I am left with a years worth of unversity work which I cannot open or read because although I wrote it on my computer, LibreOffice will not grant me access to it anymore.

No one seems to be able to tell me about user permissions and how they work?

Can you share the instructions that Kapersky support gave you to allow a blocked program?

For some reason my account does not work so I have created a new one.
Here is the Kaspersky Support Team method:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue. We understand you are having issues with LO Writer and Calc. We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused.

In order to assist with this we would require some additional information:

1. Detailed description of how 3rd party software should operate normally when there is no issue.
  • Please also let us know the full name and version of the affected 3rd party software.
  1. Could you please provide us with a screenshot illustrating the issue so we can better understand it. For more details, here are instructions on how to take a screenshot: http://support.kaspersky.com/us/492?cid=pe

2. Please perform the following diagnostics:

• Exit Kaspersky and see whether the issue persists. To do that, simply right-click on the ‘Green shield’ Kaspersky icon in System Tray (on the bottom right corner of your screen), select “Exit” and then click on “Continue”.

If the issue persists despite exiting Kaspersky, please let us know. Otherwise, proceed to step #2.

• Pause Kaspersky protection and check whether the issue persists. To do that, simply right-click the ‘Green shield’ Kaspersky icon in System Tray (on the bottom right corner of your screen) and select “Pause Protection…” then select “Pause” and click on the grey “Pause Protection” button in the bottom. If the issue persists despite pausing Kaspersky, please let us know. Otherwise, proceed to step #3.

• Try to diagnose which Kaspersky Protection component causes the issue: * Open the main Kaspersky window, click the little cog/gear icon in the bottom left corner to bring up the “Settings” menu, and on the left-hand side click on “Protection”. Here you will find the list of protection components in order. Please turn off all protection components by sliding their buttons to the left so that they turn grey. Afterwards, switch the first component (File Anti-Virus) ‘ON’ by sliding the button to the right.
    Then check whether the issue persists. If it doesn’t, turn the second component on (Mail Anti-Virus), but leave the first one enabled. Keep turning components on one by one until the issue kicks in.

Please specify which component caused the issue.

1. Please create a GetSystemInfo 6 utility report. To create this report, simply follow the step-by-step guidelines here: http://support.kaspersky.com/general/dumps/3632#block7 Note that the *.zip archive containing the report is saved on the desktop by default.

We will be waiting for your reply.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Regards

Then we went to this stage:
Dear customer,

Appreciate you getting in touch

I’m grateful for the data you’ve submitted, it surely helps us.

Could you please send us some more info for a better understanding?

Please send us traces:

1. Enable Tracing. Click on the customer support icon in the bottom left corner of the main Kaspersky window – Support Tools - Enable application traces. Set traces level to ALL

2. Reboot your PC and wait for Kaspersky to start.

3. Try to reproduce the issue.

4. Disable Tracing. Click on the customer support icon in the bottom left corner of the main Kaspersky window – Support Tools - Disable application traces. (stop).

5. Send us the resulting traces:

a) Open the “Kaspersky” window.
b) Click on the customer support icon in the bottom left corner of the main Kaspersky window.
c) Click on “Support Tools”.
d) Click on “Send report to Technical Support”.
e) Untick the first option “Operating System Information” while leaving “Data received for analysis”.
f) Then, click on “Save Report” which is found towards the bottom of this screen > Save to “Desktop” and name it “KLTraces”.
g) Reply to this email and attach the “KLTraces” archive

If the traces filesize is more than 10MB (and cannot be attached to an email), you can upload them to any freeware file-hosting service and submit a download link.

Please keep us posted.

EarnestAl
will continue to post the problem solving as we go along.