Excess blank body text on pages with footnotes only-wasted pages and increased publication cost

Linux Mageia Version 7
Version: 7.4.5.1
Build ID: 40(Build:1)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Legal Treatise created with LO Writer 7.4.5.1 in .odt format with uniform default page and footnote definitions. Page size is user defined as 6" x 9".

A section may have a page or few pages of body text with 20-50 or more substantive footnotes. In the pages without body text LO Writer puts 2-3" of blank body text area. Adjusting Page Style->Default Page Style->Footnote->Maximum Footnote Height does not reduce the blank body text area.

The result is much wasted space increasing cost of printing.

1-19D-Other Legal Arrangements Similar to Lease.odt (36.2 KB)

Question: Is there another means to adjust Maximum Footnote Height ?

RDM

Unless I"m wrong, I think there is a bug in computing the maximum possible height for notes where paper width is used instead of paper height (minus the spacings and separator thickness).

I tested this assumption by changing paper format (unfortunately not thouroughly enough on first try). The best thing to do is to file a bug report on TDF Bugzilla referring to this question. When done, add a comment with the bug report number in the form “tdf#bug_number”.

1 Like

You can probably save some time by adding yourself to the CC list for Bug 73977 - Other: Increase available footnote area to support traditional Arabic, Urdu, and Persian typesetting.

Or make a comment in the bug to say it is also common in English legal documents to have very long footnotes and link to your question here.

I added a request for fix in tdf#73977 with a reference to this question.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and your thougbhts on the underlying bug. I will file a bug report.

Before I posted the original post, I had also encountered the samee problem on standard American paper sizes (8x11 (letter) and 8x14 (US Legal))

RDM