Font color change is not working properly

LO: 24.2.5.2 Flatpak

In trying to change my application colors from dark on light to light on dark, I have encountered two issues. I’m not sure if they are bugs or expected behavior.

1. Many font colors do not apply. For example, with the document background set to: Dark 1 35% lighter, I cannot change font color to: Accent 3. I list this random example merely to make it reproducible, but it seems to apply for most dark and dark or light and light combinations.

2. Some text ignores changes made in font color. I have entire (calc) documents which ignore the font color, and also sections of (writer) documents which ignore font color. I have attached a document below whereby the exact same style and settings apply to two lines of text. However, one line changes its font according to the font color, and the other remains black no matter.

sample.odt (15.8 KB)

“The color of this line of text remains black.”
This paragraphs font color is set to Black. So, it will remain black. You can Clear Direct Formatting, for the font color to be again Automatic.

Don’t confuse Application colours with Text/Cell colour.

Application colours paint the UI and “objects” (text, cell, …) if they have colour attribute set to Automatic. I’d say application colours operates on “objects” you have left in their default “non-specified” state.

As soon as you decide to apply a user-chosen colour to any object, this user decision takes precedence over application colours. Consider “object” attributes are in a shallower layer than the deeper application one.

In your sample file, the “second” paragraph, the one which follows application colours, is styled Cz Text Body Casual where font colour is *Automatic. There is no direct formatting. Therefore, style colour applies and defaults to application colour because it is Automatic.

Your “third” paragraphn also styled Cz Text Body Casual, has received a character direct formatting where font colour is forced to Black. Your text will remain black according to the style categories precedence.

As a general rule, if you want a document under full user control with predictable, stable and reliables modifications, don’t direct format your text. Direct formatting is responsible for almost all formatting and layout errors.

Thank you for explaining this.

Clearing direct formatting does indeed fix the problem, as it occurs in the Writer files.

Nevertheless, where do I find the setting which indicates that the text has undergone direct formatting which forces it to Black? I’m curious as I do not remember ever setting it, as I never how knew or why I would.

As for Calc files, clearing direct formatting does not work. The problem here, I now know, is that the cells are formatted to Black instead of Automatic. Formatting them to Automatic fixes the problem.

Styles inspector.

1 Like

Maybe pasted from an external source.