Getting scratch when printing with libreoffice writer

when i use LO writer to print pages i get scratch like this:

options when printing: brochure - right to left.

and when i print the pages to a pdf file then i print the file from the Xreader printing dialogue it prints correctly

—Info
Manjaro OS
Version: 24.2.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 6.9; UI render: default; VCL: kf6 (cairo+wayland)
Locale: ar-DZ (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
24.2.4-2
Calc: threaded
file type: odt

a test file:
محارم اللسان.odt (55.3 KB)

I dont’t have problems for print-outs (CUPS-PDF printer driver). Have you tried to export into PDF file? What’s the result? - See screenshot of print-out into a PDF file.

Version: 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: de-DE
Ubuntu package version: 4:24.2.5~rc2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~lo1
Calc: threaded

1 Like

printing to pdf file then fron pdf to printer is working well
but when i send the printing job from libreoffice i get that result

I would guess that the printer driver of your printer cannot work on the supplied data. Try out to change it. (I’m not sure whether this could be a remedy.)

“I would guess that the printer driver of your printer cannot work on the supplied data. Try out to change it”
how to change that?
i’m using hp 1102w printer.

As I could read in your query you are using some Linux version. There are some different kinds and flavours of that (for example: deb and rpm). Ask in a forum which deals with your system.

On my system I would create a new printer which is similar to the used and then try out. For that intent it is useful not to start/connect the printer. So you are free to choose your printing device… (sorry for this minimal information, it depends on your Linux version and desktop flavour…).

I used to have similar problems with Brother printers printing garbage on both Windows and Linux/CUPS. The automatically installed Windows/CUPS drivers don’t work with LibreOffice. When I install fresh drivers from the Brother website, everything prints fine.

1 Like

i have the latest hplip 3.24.4 driver for linux https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip
i think both Xreader and Libreoffice uses that driver
but why the Xreader prints correctly while libreoffice doesnt?

On a German Ubuntu forum, someone described the same problem (hplip, only LibreOffice fails to print).
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/hp-drucker-m277dw-hplip-und-libreoffice/#post-8915605

His issue could be fixed by setting the driver language from “Autmatic” to “Postscript Level 3”.

2 Likes

the file in: usr/share/ppd/hp os already level 3
here: HPLIP - Gentoo wiki they propose to change to level 2
but that file is compressed and is not the currently used one?

i have extracted that file and changed the languagelevel to 2 and it printed well this time. i changed it back to 3 again for testing and it is also printing well.

1 Like

the problem occurred again, so i edited the file to level 2 and changed the printer settings and choosed the ppd file manually and it is working.

but whith level 2 and upper and the bottom page borders are not printed?