Heading Numbering limitations on "Tab stop" and "Indent"

The tab stop and indentation is limited to 18.2mm in the Heading numbering.
If I type a bigger value (eg 25, it is changed to 18.2)

Is this a Bug or by design?
If it is by design why?

See attached picture

Version: 7.6.4.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: e19e193f88cd6c0525a17fb7a176ed8e6a3e2aa1
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22631; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: sv-SE (en_SE); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL threaded

leker

I have no such limitation in 7.6.4.2 and as far as I remember I never met this limitation in previous releases (one of my templates configures level 1 headings to start at mid-width and this template is years old).

Have you other constraints, like right indent or right margin, which could cause this capping?

I can confirm this. For me it is max. 17,00 cm. You can see that the up arrows are grayed out.

100074 HB Dialog Kapitelnummerierung

I have not changed any settings in this regard so far.

With me:

Version: 24.2.0.0.beta1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 5f390384195b7264c6e52add9e90a39790285249
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL threaded

Hello again
I think it must be a bug, since the limitation is always the same number regardless of what mesurement unit you use. You have cm, I use mm and have also tried inch. Always the same number (17 or 18.2?) !!!
See the atached image.

Since this does not occur in our various configurations, it may be related either to your document or your user profile. Please attach a sample file where you have this limitation (1-page if you can).

I use millimeters (mm) as unit and get 18.2 mm as limit = 0,7 inch
I also checked inch and then got 18.2 inches as limit
Hrbrgr uses centimeter (cm) as unit end get 17 cm = 7 inches
18.2 inches = 46.2 cm = 462 mm
The limit value should be calculated ackording to the selekted measurement unit and NOT use the same number regardless of selected unit. It is as if you have a speed limit on say 50. and it is 50 regardless if the unit is miles/hour, kilometers/hour or meter/second.
You have to calculate the number ackording to the actual measurment unit.

@Hrbrgr’s limit of 17cm is what is left in an A4 sheet when you remove the margins. So this limit is “logical”.= and relevant. Attach a one-page document with the issue. If the problem disappears on my machine, the cause is in your user profile. If it is still there, it is in the document and I’ll try to find why.

Please see attached odt document.
Example.odt (27.6 KB)

There is no Heading 1 paragraph in your sample file. I insist: attach a file which experiences the issue on your side. It is important it is faulty on your computer so that I check if it is also faulty on mine. As it is, everything behaves as expected here following your changes. This does not demonstrate anything. So, please, attach a file you guarantee faulty from the start.

See attached document
Example 2.odt (29.0 KB)

See Bug 155649 - EDITING Writer Heading (aka Chapter) Numbering Position Parameters Cannot Go Beyond 17 mm

Workaround, use cm

Got it! I can now reproduce it on my machine and it is worse than what you saw. The cap number is equal to the distance in cm between the margins. Change your margins to 40mm and the cap becomes 13. However, if I choose inches, this does not happen in a blank document. It happens for picas and points too.

I updated tdf#155649.

OK, I already used the workaround.
The raeson I got 18,2 mm instead of 17,0 was that I have changed the page margins from 20 mm to 14 mm.

The reason I use the non-preferred cm in LibreOffice instead of mm is that I like the rulers to have decimal main divisions. It seems that preference has unknowingly saved me some trouble

EarnestAl
You can right-click the rulers and select the measurement unit for the ruler.

Bug 155649 has now been actioned, and this problem is fixed for LO 7.6.5 on.