Help! Can't Find Hidden Section

I can’t figure out how to unhide a group of text. I highlighted several paragraphs, went to “insert” then “section” then clicked “hide” labeling it “outline” and hit “insert.” I cannot find the text now in navigator. I can’t undo the creation or find instructions for re-adding the text. Can someone help me? The online instructions were not clear to me. Thanks!

Each section is listed in
menu Format | Sections…
If your section still exists you can select and unhide it if hidden.
Usually the Navigator (F5) shows any sections, even if hidden. If not, there probably is no section …?

1 Like

Section is grayed out in format. So my paragraphs just disappeared? What else could have happened?

I only can guess that your file is damaged in some way. If there are no sensitive details in it you could share the file for examining it. (If upload is not possible on this ask site you could move it into the cloud and share the link for download.)
Another approach is to rename (the copied file) into a .zip file, then extract the CONTENT.XML and open/edit with an editor like Notepad++. Perhaps some contents could be restored.

EDIT

I exactly followed your explanation in your question - yes, there are (solvable) problems (*sigh*). . .

How to save your vanished paragraphs

• Insert a new section, hidden.

Follow the steps …

• menu Format | Sections… change ☒Hide to ☐Hide
  • Hit OK (section is still hidden!)
  • menu Format | Sections…
  • Hit Remove
  • Hit OK (section is still hidden!)
  • The trick: use shortcut CTRL + Z
  • If this procedure does not work immediately:
    Hit alternatively CTRL + Y and CTRL + Z

HTH

Nathan-GoodPerson.odt (47.1 KB)

I would greatly appreciate your help finding it. I don’t think the file is corrupt. Based on the manual, I think I did something incorrectly. It’s upsetting that it may not be able to be undone or located, but I am grateful that you’re willing to give it a look. The hidden text was labeled outline or Outline. I did not use a formula because I didn’t understand that and believed in the magical power of “undo.” :grimacing:

IMHO no, this seems to be a faulty program feature.
(See my last reply, during editing you wrote another comment.)

OMG! :star_struck: It worked! I created a new section, hid it, then followed your instructions and my hidden text re-appeared! Hooray! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

May be only in Windows? (see @Grantler comment)
EDIT: My wrong: I suposed (while testing on Linux) that the shared file has the hidden section.
After following steps, I can hide the new section; and I can see (and unhide) it in menu Format - Section.

Maybe a bug in a newer version:
Here tested with: Version: 7.5.9.2 (x86) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: cdeefe45c17511d326101eed8008ac4092f278a9
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-MX (es_MX); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

My environment:
Version: 24.2.2.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 4:24.2.2~rc2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~lo1
Calc: threaded