How Can I Resize All Selected Text Items on a Page?

I converted a lot of CorelDraw files to LibreOffice Draw. Some of those files were created on a very large page size. When I try to resize the objects to fit an 8.5x11 page, all objects resize proportionately except text objects.

How do I downsize all the selected text objects at once to say, 12 points?

Testing (with version 7.1.8.1) on an old cdr file, I find this:
Select all the text frames, choose menu Format - Character… - Font tab, and change the Size: value.

Could you share a reduced sample file to test?

I’m using version 7.2.4.1. I have a drawing that I converted from CorelDRAW to LO. The drawing has many text boxes in which the font size is 100 points. I can select all of the text boxes but only the last one that I select has a light blue box around it. When I go to Format>Character>Font tab and change the Size value from 100 to 10 (or to any other value for that matter), only the type in the light blue box is changed. That leads me to believe that the problem was not introduced in the application conversion process but is in LO itself.

Sometimes when I do this none of the text boxes change the font size. Go figger…

I’ll try to send the file to you. Here it is…

My Fences 2.odg (24.2 KB)

Slightly odd, most of the text rescaled after I selected everything and reduced to a tenth the size and then entered 10pts in the text size box (they were 100pt). There were half a dozen textboxes that I had to select and double-click to select all the text inside the textbox and reduce to 10pt. Maybe they were on a different layer not recognised by Draw? Or different text? I haven’t used CorelDraw since Windows 7 so having difficulty remembering if there were different sorts of text.
Scaled 1:100 on Legal paper

My Fences 2LegalPaper1-100.odg (22.7 KB)

I selected all, changed the width to 20 cm (keeping ratio), and set font size to 10. It worked. But nearly all text frames remained with height in excess.

EDIT (2021-12-24): With version 7.0.6.2, text frames grouped in the front fence (current) don’t changed font size following previous paragraph method.

1 Like

I’ve found that in LO I have to individually select each text box, then select the text inside, and then apply the font change. That leaves me with the text attributes that I want but it also leaves the size of the text box itself unchanged. To correct that, I then have to click the text box (twice, I think) and move the lower right corner towards the end of the text until the box just fits the text. That becomes rather boring when I have 20 or 30 text boxes to change on each page (or slide?) that’s in each file.

As I think more and more about it, it seems that I had to do something similar in the CorelDraw program. I remember that I could create a “paragraph” text box and type inside it. If I typed too much text, only that which fit inside the box would be displayed so I had to then increase the size of the box. And if I decreased the size of the text, I would then decrease the size of the box (because I’m anal, don’cha know).

And CorelDraw also had an “artistic” text box that, when selected, I could resize and the text inside would also resize to fit the box. I guess that was what I was expecting to have happen with the LO text boxes.

Finally, when I originally converted the CDRs to PDFs, I think I used an earlier version of LO rather than export them from the CorelDraw application. Unfortunately, the LO conversion often made, and still makes, more than one new text box for some (but not all) of the ones that were in the original CorelDraw file. Right now I don’t have a monitor for the computer in which CorelDraw is installed :pensive: so I can’t check it out. So that’s where I stand at the moment on this issue.

@EarnestAl
I opened the file you attached and selected 3 of the text boxes in the second fence drawing. Then I clicked Format>Position and Size and changed the width from 230.xx to 24 and clicked OK. The size of the text did not change, rather a copy of those 3 text boxes was created, one on top of the other, near the left edge of the page. From there I got lost and tried the process again with the same results.

Forrmat > Position and size does not not change text size, only objects. Just select all and enter the new font size in the font size box.

The fonts that didn’t change for me when I selected everything were the text boxes in the Front fence. Further investigation showed they are Grouped with the objects in the Front fence. Enter the group, select all Ctrl+A and enter a new font size.

I just scaled it all up to A0, so 4x bigger, it took less than a minute to do including all text resized.

[ A few minutes later]

I played a bit more. I selected everything and then clicked Format > Text Attributes and in the Text tab under Drawing Object Text I made sure both Fit width to Text and Fit height to Text were ticked and OK (also for grouped text). I then unticked those boxes and ticked Fit to Frame and OK (this time the grouped text took the setting without further action from me). I can now resize everything and the text resizes with the objects.

My Fences 2LegalPaper1-100(TextResize).odg (22.8 KB)

IMPORTANT: Only use in LO 7.1.6 and later due to crash on grouping when Fit to Frame is applied, ref tdf#143153.

2 Likes

Your last post looks like it will help me out. I’ll try it a bit later today after I chew on it awhile. :wink: