How do I edit the title of a document?

I am trying to change the title of a document. I have tried everything but the old title just wont edit.

Read these guidelines and edit your question (with the slanted pencil link, don’t use an answer) to provide more information.

Do you mean the title has been recorded in File>Properties and inserted on the cover page in a “field”?

Is this title repeated on every page in the header and you expect it to be in sync with document title?

Please explain what are the pre-existing data, what you do with them and what you expect.

Hello

most probably you have the title being a field and thus you need to edit the document property “Title”. This can be done using menu File -> Properties -> Tab: Description

If the answer is correct or helped you to fix your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.

Thanks for your very prompt reply. In your example Properties of “untitled 1” it is the “untitled 1” I want to edit. Sorry asking what must be a very basic question but I am still trying to get to grips with it all

Ah … this is not the title, this the file name of the document, and as long as there was no save of a document, it has no name and thus it is “Untitled 1”. To have it a name you must save it for the very first time: File -> Save and select the location, where you want to store your document and provide some meaningful (to you) name of the file. Then “Untitled 1” changes to the name you provided during save operation.